How do I apply a physical material to a material function?

I have a set of material functions that are blending together to form different areas of ground on a mesh I have that acts as my terrain. They are very varied, and go from dirt, grass, rock, metal etc.

My character is doing line traces downwards to create footstep noises, dependant on the type of ground below its feet. Now, for this I am using physical materials. It’s fine inside buildings where I have multiple material elements, but outdoors it becomes a problem as I have to set a single physical material for the entire mesh.

I was wondering if there is a way to apply a physical material inside a material function instead of the final material? If there is not, would it be possible to implement? ^.=.^

Still looking for a solution to this, or a pointer to how I could solve it differently.

Any news here?

I haven’t found anything so far - I believe we should make a post on the forums instead ^.=.^

I also need this as a LAM user …

Same Here, don’t know how to do

Not exactly what you want, but you can assign physical materials to each landscape layer object you have, like mentioned in this thread

I SO need this right now.

I want to vertex paint on my static mesh and have different physical materials so I can have multiple FX and Sounds. Layer material seems like the option, but as you say, I cannot see how to put physical material on a function…

take a look at this request: Multiple Landscape PhysMats? - World Creation - Unreal Engine Forums

bump it. add interest. love it.

maybe then they’ll put some focus on it :slight_smile:

PS. don’t get confused by the title, the request is to use multiple PhysMats inside a material