How do i apply a normal only decal?

Hi guys,

So I’m just getting in to using decals and they work pretty well but i have stumbled across an issue

I’m attempting to use a decal to apply some surface cracks to a road therefore im using the dbuffer translucent normal blend mode. However when i apply the decal with just the normal map linked i get this obvious square on the decal’s bounds which i expect so i attached an opacity mask and this almost enitrely removed my normal information?

How can i maintain the cracks normal information whilst removing the obvious square on the edges of the decal?

cheers guys

I may be entirely wrong because I’m a newbie to Unreal myself. You have to be in Game mode in order for the outline box to essentially disappear. You will see the outline box when you are making your level. It’s similar to when you see the little lightbulb that is also visible in your picture. The game engine is showing you where the light source is originating from so you can adjust it before baking your lights.

You probably need to use a “BlendAngleCorrectedNormals” Node inside your Material so or otherwise check if your normal value is 0 were the square is forming.