how do i add a custom enemy using npc spawner and create its behaviors and apply my animation files to those behaviors?

i’m trying to add a custom enemy to my world. i have all of the necessary assets as far as the character itself and its animations for many unique actions. i have tried to go through the documentation for the npc spawner device and tried to find more specific information about how to make it attack the player or decide what attacks it uses etc and apply the corresponding animations but i am completely confused.

the furthest i have gotten is getting the npc spawner to show the mesh of my custom creature but none of the animations work and i have no idea how to get it to behave in specific ways or how to tell it when to play what animation like attacking, walking, running etc. it feels like the uefn documentation leads me in circles without telling me how these things would work or how i actually create and implement them.

2 Likes

Hello,
You’ll want to setup an anim preset which is what will allow you to change how it walks and runs by just pointing your locomotion animations in there, no Verse needed. How to create a animation preset for NPC character definition?

“Attacks” will require you to be creative with the Verse function PlayAnimation where you can specify animations to play, using this API Play Animation Module | Unreal Editor For Fortnite Documentation | Epic Developer Community

3 Likes

i appreciate the help, i’ll give it a try.

i think i’ve figured out how to get my custom creature from the npc spawner to navigate toward the player, but i can’t figure out how to have the creature damage the player. i just can’t figure out what code i need to use.

i’m trying to make my creature do just the same as the fiends do where they chase down the player and cause damage when they attack, but so far i only understand how to make the character navigate toward the player, and cannot figure out how to make the creature damage the player when it actually reaches them.

i’ve looked and looked, i’ve read through all of the npc spawner, character definition and behavior related information in the documentation and i just can’t figure out how to make the creature cause damage to the player, in verse or otherwise. it’s possible i’m just overlooking something but i’ve gone over the documentation so many times and i still cannot figure it out.