How do I access the Marketplace from Linux?

I just used this Unofficial UE4 Launcher for Linux (download assets from the marketplace)
And download a few things w/o any problems!
I used a google linked account as a signin method (just in case you try something else, this method is working!)

make it sure to fork and like it on github too!

I used this tutorial to download a plugin: Download UE4 assets from the Epic Games Marketplace using Linux | Alexandra Zaharia

This is still a hassle because the Epic store has no option to add a link to your compiled version from git, you have to install a second version of Unreal Engine, stop the installation process, and then copy your version into the directory Epic Store created.

It worked but now I have another problem: This method may be fine for graphical content, but not for code plugins. The plugin in question is CesiumForUnreal, they say that it is compatible with UE5 and Linux but they don’t provide the binaries in the Marketplace download, so I had to go to their github repository and compile it myself, but it still doesn’t work because the Unreal Engine packaging script refuses to generate my package (RunUAT.sh)

So there are still some major fixes on the part of Epic required to make using UE on Linux a good experience.

Besides that I’ll try to download some graphical assets from the store, put it in my compiled version of UE5 and report back if that works.

edit: Yup it worked, tried this one: temperate Vegetation: Spruce Forest in Props - UE Marketplace
Downloaded it directly into my project with Epic Store under Lutris

1 Like

Hi there! If you’re having trouble downloading content from the marketplace website, you may need to contact customer support for help. Make sure you have a valid purchase confirmation or receipt handy, so they can verify your purchase and assist you further.

This is why marketplaces should perform a security review salesforce and make sure everything works fine. I’m sorry if my advice doesn’t help you. Perhaps someone else in the community will be able to offer some solution. I hope you’ll find answers! Cheers!

1 Like

@Johnathon Doorman (Staff)
I think it would be easier to learn Godot or Unity.

This is probably THE most offensive response I could have read.
Cursing at you would have been less obnoxious.

You can try Lutris. This article: How to Install the Epic Games Launcher to Play Games on Linux has help with installing both Lutris and the Epic Games Launcher. It worked fine for me on Ubuntu.

1 Like

Having installed Lutris I am now re-downloading and installing Unreal Engine 5.2 because it doesn’t seem to be aware that I already have it downloaded and extracted from the zip file.

Am I now stuck doing everything in the wine environment, or can I export the assets I download to my linux host somehow?

Totally new to all this and have no idea what I’m doing.

1 Like

This seems to be a valid way: Accessing Unreal Engine Marketplace on Linux

However, instead of (or in addition to) creating a Dummy project, You can link Your project dir in wine Unreal Projects dir and the Epic Launcher will see Your project. Then “Add to project” works for any project, just make sure You click “Show all projects”

I’m currently working abroad and using my Dell Latittude 7390 Laptop. I could not get Lutris or any other solution superficial solution that used Wine to work on my setup. I could probably get Wine to work if I manually setup a Wine prefix and manually configured it but that’s too much of a hassle.

The method I found that worked was by using the answer of @anonymous_user_49270c1d. Unofficial UE4 Launcher for Linux (download assets from the marketplace)

Download the git repository but you will need to do a few extra steps to get it working since it hasn’t been maintained.

You need to install NPM.

Then you need to install Electron.
sudo npm i electron -g

Install the missing modules.
npm install request
npm install --save @electron/remote

Then launch.
npm start

So I found a work around using Heroic Games Launcher.

What you need to do is go to the “Other” section add the “EpicInstaller.exe” as a game and install it through Heroic.

Then you need to add the “EpicGamesLauncher.exe” as a game and install Unreal through there, then you should have access to all the features.

Finding the “EpicGamesLauncher.exe” is a little convoluted, but it should look something like this /home/“PCName”/Games/Heroic/Prefixes/default/“Title”/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/Launcher/Portal/Binaries/EpicGamesLauncher.exe

Then from there you should be able to run Unreal and Epic will be able to install assets to Unreal Engine. I haven’t found a way to run Unreal natively and have Epic be able to install assets, but I haven’t found any issues besides maybe performance. It may differ for you, but I needed to make sure Proton was set to “experimental” to get Epic Launcher to work properly.

Another work around so you could download assets would be to do this to download the assets, and then manually move the assets to your native Linux folders, and then run the Native version Unreal Engine.