How did you learn Unreal Engine ?

I will admit, I have always been the “I have this game idea it’s gonna be great” but I then saw what it actually takes to make that ‘dream game’ I had envisioned. So I will take it slow and steady, don’t get myself too ahead and take it one step at a time.

I do have programming experience, I want to focus mainly on that. I don’t care much for textures, lighting and animation (at least for right now). I just want to learn simple things and go on from there. Eventually I would like to learn all this stuff.

My question is how did you learn ? Video tutorials ? Online Guides ? Documentation ? Books ? I am currently seeing some video on Pluralsight but they are the typical “oh this is how you shrink an object”. But I am now reading a book and I am liking that way better.

I just want to see what you guys did in order to learn Unreal Engine, what worked best for you ? Thanks!

my issue has been solved!!

Hi, I had the same problem when I started UR, but I found these tutorials are the best, one tutorial for using C++ and the other using Blueprints. You can buy these tutorials at a low price, you can search the internet for a coupon for Udemy if there no discount, but usually the $199 price becomes $11.99 after the coupon. so don’t buy it at regular price.

also, there are free Unreal Engine Online Learning tutorials
https://learn.unrealengine.com/home/dashboard

I watched in two months about 200 tutorials about UE, AE, Illustrator, Substance Painter, Blender. Then I was prepared for the first steps in an own game… Still learning. I wish there would be more tutorials for Niagara. Chaos is also on my list, but destructible meshes will do it for now.

i took the long route, trial and error… i must have broke the engine a hundred times trying new things… but what i found was that everyone has their own way of doing things, i might copy/paste a material or game logic and find it wayyyyyy over complex for my needs… i don’t just want something that works, i want to know how and why it works…

most of the time i found myself taking a little piece of this one, and a little piece of that one, and inventing ‘my way’ of doing it… breaking everything down to it’s simplest components then adding just what i want or need for the specific situation…

I can really recommend the multiplayer course by Tom Looman on Udemy. But I agree, there are courses that kind of teach you wrong things. I have
done 3 courses altogether and two of them were okay. I did not follow exactly and tried my own solutions when I thought theirs was not ideal.

What are GDC talks???

For me I started learn from Youtube channels.
I know some guy that have channel for learn ue4
Link Here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsS5i15vvUbwfr_1JdRKCAA
And if you have problem and you don’t know how resolve it just look into his playlist. :wink:

same here. I have always been the “I have this game idea it’s gonna be great” but I then saw what it actually takes to make that ‘dream game’ I had envisioned. So I will take it slow and steady, don’t get myself too ahead and take it one step at a time.

I do have programming experience, I want to focus mainly on that. I don’t care much for textures, lighting and animation (at least for right now). I just want to learn simple things and go on from there. Eventually I would like to learn all this stuff.

My question is how did you learn ? Video tutorials ? Online Guides ? Documentation ? Books ? I am currently seeing some video on Pluralsight but they are the typical “oh this is how you shrink an object”. But I am now reading a book and I am liking that way better.

I just want to see what you guys did in order to learn Unreal Engine, what worked best for you ? Thanks!

my issue has been solved!!

192.168.0.1 routerlogin 192.168.l.l

Possibly your best post ever.

As far as “best” source for learning, there is no best.
Most people making tutorials (me included) have their own unique approach to a specific situation that may not work for what you need or, often time you just know better then they do and see the flaws of their implementation.

The best teacher is experience.
Unlike other occupations you can get experience by just doing stuff, and making it work.
The good’ol trial and error.

As far as core concepts go, the Learn tab on the main website and the new academy is a good source of somewhat official tutorials. if you go through most of it you’ll get your bearings on how to do things and some engine exclusive things like blueprint interfaces (not that an interface is exclusive to ue4, but the way they work in blueprint and cpp kinda is).

all that said, how come this is in the animation section?

With adblockplus on Firefox I get no mid-stream ads.
Unless its monetized content, in which case I would wager that the tutorial you are watching is trash.
No one should make a paying profession out of posting random how-to’s on YouTube.
then again no one should be an “influencer” either…

I see a button and think “humm what does this do” and then push it