How can I improve the top down cursor for my game?

When using the top down template cursor, it stays above objects and causes issues navigating under or around them. How could I improve this to only interact with the floor/terrian that is under and around those objects?

For example, If I want to walk into a building, the cursor will stay on the roof collision and make movement inaccurate. I need the roof to have collision with a line trace in my game, but not to have collision with the cursor.

311110-cursor.png

You can create a custom trace channel in Project Settings => Engine => Collision => Trace Channels. Leave the visibility channel to Line Trace, and use your custom channel for the cursor.

Ok. I understand the creating a custom trace channel. But I’m unsure what you mean by leaving the visibility channel to line trace and using the custom channel for the cursor.

You’re placing the green circle on the ground by using Get Hit Result Under Cursor, right? It has a trace channel to select. Same as any Trane by Channel node. Use Visibility for Traces, and your custom channel for Get Hit Result Under Cursor.

Or are you using something else to place the cursor?

I figured it out lol, and yes I am using the Get Hit Result Under Cursor. I changed the Trace channel to my custom Line Trace and then went into the object(s) and set the collision response to ignore for that custom line trace. Thank you very much!

I went ahead and gathered some pictures for anyone who my have a similar question in the future:

Click on Edit

311226-1.png

Find Project Settings

311227-2.png

Find Collision on the Left side

Click on New Trace Channel

Go into the Event Graph for the TopDownController

Then Change the Trace Channel to your Custom Channel