How can I handle this Depth Of field foreground issue?

Hi Guys! I started learning Unreal about a 2 month ago, but I’m having a weird issue with any Actors / Foliage in the foreground when I use a strong Depth Of Field and the camera is close to the foreground. I literally tried everything, I’ve been trying to find a solution for it on the net for a week and seen several people posting about this, I’ve looked at a tons of tutorials, searched forums, but nothing that works unfortunately. I’ve tried several lighting techniques, UE4 to UE5, all kinds of Camera and Post Process settings, Movie Render Queue with all the Console Variables, World and Project Settings, Materials, Engine Scalability Settings, copying from one Scene to another, but nothing… I have a reference scene, the Quixel Megascans Abandoned Apartment Scene where for some reason the foreground Dof works quite well, but if I copy all the settings from there, somehow it doesn’t. I posted this same question in the rendering section with no luck, so I maybe here. Please help me! I can’t use the software in production with this weird issue…

And Some Shots from the mentioned Megascans Abandoned Scene, the only one where the foreground Dof looks almost correct for some reason.

Any solutions to this? Having the same issue

1 Like

Same problem here…any solutions?

This occurs from having a low value for the aperture.
The problem is compounded based on the lens being used.

For example:
Lens: 200mm
Aperture: 2.0
(Terrible)

Aperture: 16
(Still bad)

Aperture: 22
(Looking good)

Also, take note how the lens will affect your aperture

Lens: 50mm (nifty fifty)
Aperture: 1.8
(Terrible)

Lens: 50mm (nifty fifty)
Aperture: 10
(Good)

Let me know if you think a video tutorial on this subject would be helpful.

1 Like

Thanks! yes i came to the same conclusion. Shame its not possible to use low apertures regardless the fact that its foliage. makes it harder to make change of focus for instance, but i guess we ll live with it!

thanks again :slight_smile: