How can I fix this...?

Hi

I’m currently having a problem importing an asset into the Unreal Editor from 3ds Max. I’ve not had this problem before, but whenever I try to import everything, it’s all broken up into single pieces, which would mean having to assemble it all in the scene. However, if I tick Combine Mesh, I get an error/warning saying that it failed to import, but with no specific reason.

Also, it says a couple parts could not be created because all of its polygons are degenerate. What does this mean, and how can I fix them?

Thanks

Degenerate polygons means:

“A polygon is degenerate if some of its vertices lie on each other. e.g the triangle (0,0),(0,1),(0,0) is degenerate. It has 3 sides, and 3 vertices, but two of vertices repeat. It’s possible to repeat a vertex multiple times (for example (0,0),(0,0),(0,0) is another degenerate triangle). By definition, checking whether a polygon is degenerate or not is easy.”

So my best bet is that you would need to clean up your model in 3ds Max. Never used Max, but Maya got a tool for selecting degenerate faces so you can fix them.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Okay. What’s the tool in Maya for finding them? I’ve checked Cleanup but I can’t find anything in there. Can overlapping UVs cause that error to come up, too?

This might help: Cleaning Up Bad Geometry Using Maya's Cleanup Options

I did see this site and scrolled through it but couldn’t see anything related to degenerated polys. Or does it come under a different name?

make sure your import scale in unreal is at least 1 - not 0 - that’s what I was doing wrong - had accidentally reset my scale to 0 from when I had it at 10