How can I ensure a fast moving actor collides with another?

I have small physics actors that pass through other objects when moving too fast. For my game, I think solving this by checking for collision using a ray cast in the direction of the actor’s velocity would be better than changing the physics (like substepping). But I still want my objects to behave as if they naturally collided. When my ray cast detects a hit that the actor may otherwise pass through, what should I do to ensure it collides, or ensure it responds similarly as if it collided?

This is on 5.1.1.

Adjust the substepping in the Engine:

1. Open your project settings by going to Edit > Project Settings.

2. Navigate to the Physics section in the left-hand menu.

3. Under Physics Settings, locate the Substepping option and increase the value.
    The default value is 1, but you may need to increase it to a higher value depending on what you need.

4. Save to apply the changes to your project.

:warning: - Increasing the substepping may affect performance, so it’s important to balance the frequency of physics simulations with the needs of your project. Additionally, you may want to consider using collision detection and response events to handle collisions between objects, rather than relying solely on physics simulation. This can provide more precise control over the behavior of your objects and can help avoid issues with objects passing through each other at high speeds.

Thanks but I meant I don’t want to change the substepping.