How can I customize volumes?

I can’t seem to get the Engine to auto generate a file that extends volume/trigger volume.

All I want to do is create a volume that can have some basic parameters and make my bots check them on enter, e.g. I might use this to create an area where all bots can’t attack etc.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, it seems that the unreal engine wouldn’t let me press create class for some reason :smiley:

It should be fine (how are you having trouble?) - but if there is some mysterious issue, create a class that extends Actor, then manually change the header to extend from whichever volume class (i.e AVolume) instead of AActor.

Hi Belven,

Is this working for you now? If not, can you provide a little more information about what you are trying to do and how you have tried to resolve it.

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue. There are some classes from which the wizard doesn’t let you extend new classes while some other classes do not even appear on the list of “All classes”.

For example, you have AVolume or APostProcessVolume.
I had to inherit from AActor and change things manually, as suggested.

Tried to do that, just get link error on compile time :frowning:

On 4.13 I managed to extend ATriggerVolume, BUT I was not able to get it working in the editor. The editor lets me drag it into the scene (the custom volume appears amongst another standard volumes in Modes list) but there is no collision box showing in the scene, only the pivot gizmo… :-/
(So in my case, I had to go with ActorComponent with dynamically assigned Box Trigger)

Same issue here, I’m pretty sure it has to do with needing to set up a Brush Builder or something… Quite frustrating that this isn’t documented anywhere. You’d think making subclasses of Volume would be pretty common.

Right, I’m stumped also. I thought I could just drag a cube in and make the geometry invisible or remove it, but examining volumes and static meshes, they are clearly deriving from different objects.

Did anyone get further?