"Hong Kong Obscure" psychedelic experience

store_capsule_vertical

Hello everyone, I’m excited to share with you my game Hong Kong Obscure, a VR experience that combines nanite, lumen, shader effects with signed distance fields. It took me a lot of time and effort to make it and then even more to optimize it for VR and achieve 40fps performance XD (5700XT).

“Hong Kong Obscure” is an experimental game that falls into the exploration, atmospheric genre. It features interactive objects and objectives for players to engage with, and various visual and audio effects to enhance the immersive psychedelic experience. I am interested in hearing your feedback on the game and how it resonates with you as a player.

See it on Steam Save 17% on Hong Kong Obscure on Steam (steampowered.com)

CinematicTrailer:

SteamTrailer:

VRGameplay: Hong Kong Obscure 3.66.40r VR Gameplay - Leaked footage - YouTube
PCGameplay: Hong Kong Obscure 3.65.10r GAMEPLAY Leaked footage - YouTube

2 Likes

How did you get Nanite to work in VR? Last I checked VR stereo rendering wasn’t supported, I’m curious. I didn’t know lumen was either?

1 Like

Well I just tried and it worked. It’s only in 5.1 and later though. 5.0 won’t work to my knowledge

2 Likes

Greetings @FAXCORP !

Operation Codename: Hong Kong Obscure looks really interesting!

When I first watched your video, I was amazed with the trippy lighting and the ghosted images. I wondered about the premise of the game and its general objectives, so I ventured over to your Steam page and discovered that some information has been redacted by a protective agency! :stop_sign: I rather enjoyed reading the game info!

I’m assuming the point of the operation is to track your own path, explore freely, and then draw your own conclusions. Each person’s experience will be uniquely different from another’s. Is there any in-game incentive for the player to communicate their personal experiences?

What are the challenges you faced with achieving the 40fps standard that you were looking for? Are there any suggestive “guides” that will assist the player in uncovering which objects are interactive?

2 Likes

Hi,
Yes indeed there are minigames throughout, not many yet but more to come, starting with todays update.
Also player can find REDACTED and secret documents about REDACTED leading to REDACTED

Game also uses state of art Cloud Neural Speech on-the-fly synthesis when contacting the operator for tasks.

As for challenges with getting Nanite and Lumen on VR, I’ve done a lot of work optimizing blueprints and cull distances, shadows and lights but gained ~10fps max. In the end the bottle neck is Nanite. I saw the Matrix demo for UE5 and then started doing this environment with Nanite in mind. So the streets are all custom baked meshes and the buildings have ~500k tris.
So that the game is running 60fps on PC and 40fps in VR is actually a big number considering how dense the environment is.

Some screenshots from my Discord

2 Likes

Nanite does scale with screen resolution, and being as high-res as VR is, that makes sense. That being said, you can dial down the size of the streaming pool to win back perf.

2 Likes

Thats a great idea, I did try it but couldn’t figure out how all the pools work together so just reverted to default values, I’ll have to read more about it. Thanks for the tip
If anyone knows, how to set Texture Streaming Pool, Virtual Texture Streaming Pool and Nanite Streaming Pool correctly, please tell! Do I have to divide them to fit my VRAM? Are they going into same pool or something? Thanks

2 Likes