HLOD with Blueprints/Prefabs

Hi!
I’ve been playing around with HLODs, but I’ve noticed that it won’t generate clusters for blueprints/prefabs static meshes, even thought they are set to static. I’ve read some posts from 2016 saying that they work with Blueprints meshes, but that doesn’t seem the case.

EDIT: I’ve also checked the Building Worlds for Fornite, from Unreal Fest 2020, and it was said that all assets in Fortnite are blueprints. So this should work.

I’ve tried:

• Setting the blueprints meshes to Static;
  • Making the cluster radius bigger;

The strange thing is that, if a blueprint is OUTSIDE the HLOD Volume, it is detected by the HLOD system (if you the Only Generate Cluster for HLOD is off)

So the question is: is it or not possible to use the HLOD with blueprints meshes (simple mesh grouping, no code, no nothing)?

After some more tests, it seems that the HLOD system works with blueprints, but ONLY if inside the HLOD Volume there’s a single static mesh with the blueprint (so, inside it will have the prefab/blueprint with lots of meshes, and a cube, for example)

Ok, managed to get it working.

The only issue was the parent of the blueprint class!

When creating a blueprint/prefabs (that just contains static meshes), have StaticMesh Actor as it’s parent, then HLOD will work!

309895-solution.png

1 Like