HIMIL (short movie)

Hi! Here’s my last short movie called HIMIL. I really hope you like it but C&C are welcome!

“Imagine waking up in a lucid dream. You hear someone’s screams coming from far away. Anxiety and the inability to manage emotions rationally. You don’t know why but you feel that is your destiny.”

This project has been inspired by an umbrian legend, this is the dream of Imiltrude who was a girl probably lived in 1237 in the land of Gualdum, hidden village at the borders of eastern Umbria. The fourteenth-century chronicles remember that girl as Maleficent. She was sentenced to death for having caused the fire that destroyed the city.

HIMIL on Vimeo

6 Likes

Greetings @t1z1an0 !

I was thrilled by HIMIL! I learned that the Umbria region of Italy is still graced with mostly preserved medieval hill towns and dense forests. I can imagine how much more dense the forests were in the 12th century AD.

You’ve done stunning work in imagining and creating the environment analogous to the region itself - a hilled environment with mountains towering in the distance. HIMIL opens mysteriously inside of a thatched roof home settled within the thick forests of Gualdum. There is a small, dancing fire in what I would call a dirt hearth with a circlet of metal containing it. I couldn’t quite tell if this was a part of a crown or a purposeful medieval part that I have no periodic knowledge of, but if it is part of a crown, then I say this is brilliant foreshadowing!

I had to do a little translating, but I learned the biblical quote is from John 15:20. In Imiltrude’s lucid dream, she seems restless, afraid, and confused. Walking through the dense forest, we wonder what she should come upon to give us any clue as to what is going on. She comes upon mysterious figures near a large inferno. Yet, we learn early on in your description that she was sentenced to death for causing a fire that destroyed the city. Since we see that she comes upon an existing fire surrounded by mysterious figures, the Bible quote starts to develop more meaning.

If Imiltrude believes that her vision is her destiny, then her name is a self-fulfilling prophecy, as the etymology of Imiltrude/Himil is heaven.

Is HIMIL the introduction of more to come? Is the Umbrian legend of real events or an urban legend? Is Gualdum a real or fictional village? Is HIMIL a precursor to the Sleeping Beauty tale or inspired by a dark version of it? Was Imiltrude later referred to as Maleficent (to make or do evil) due to the fire she was accused of starting?

Thank you so much for sharing HIMIL with us!

4 Likes

Wow, I was very surprised by the overall quality of this short! It look and sound awesome and feel and animated VERY realistically :smiley: It is tense from the beginning to the end, bravo!

4 Likes

Hello @t1z1an0, it’s honestly a great surprise for me to see you posting here! You did an amazing job with HIMIL!
The image quality is incredible, but the use of camera is even better. I’d love to know more about it, did you use the virtual camera?

2 Likes

Grande @t1z1an0 bello mbel po’! :heart:

Thanks for sharing this stunning work by an Umbrian, would love to promote on Perugia is Unreal! Project if you agree :fire:

4 Likes

Hi @Get_DOVAH_it! Thanks so much for your words and your curiosity.
I’m quite impressed by your analysis because you perfectly nailed the meaning of the short movie even if it is simbolic and surreal.
I’m particularly happy to answer your questions!

There is a small, dancing fire in what I would call a dirt hearth with a circlet of metal containing it. I couldn’t quite tell if this was a part of a crown or a purposeful medieval part that I have no periodic knowledge of, but if it is part of a crown, then I say this is brilliant foreshadowing!

Yes, that is a sort of crown made up of small bronze statues found in a place in Gualdum called Colle dei Mori. They’re really important because they are from pre-roman era. I decided to put them in my story because the legend says they’re bringing bad luck: a believable tool for a witch, no?

Is the Umbrian legend of real events or an urban legend? Is HIMIL a precursor to the Sleeping Beauty tale or inspired by a dark version of it? Was Imiltrude later referred to as Maleficent (to make or do evil) due to the fire she was accused of starting?

The story of Imiltrude is inspired by a novel called Poi si fece buio by umbrian writer Matteo Bebi. We took inspiration from the book and from a '300 chronicle called Chronicon Gualdense: it talks about various events and also about this woman called Maleficent accused to be a witch and able to burn the entire village. It’s a really important event in our history and in way, it’s well before the Sleeping Beaty story.
Consider every year, at the end of Setpember, the city is celebrating with a big event, called Giochi de le Porte: you can find a glimpse (directed by me) right here if you are curious enough.

Is Gualdum a real or fictional village?

Gualdum is a real place, called Gualdo Tadino. Like most of the cities and towns in Italy, it has a huge historical heritage. From paleolitic to '900. Ah, it’s also the place where I come from :slight_smile:

Is HIMIL the introduction of more to come?

Yes, we would like to produce a Pilot for a TV series and we’re looking for the right people to make it real. Our research work began something like two years ago looking for direct and indirect sources. In the meanwhile we wrote a script but we decided to produce this short movie trying to communicate which kind of mood we’re interested in.
We’re writing a whole new world made up of legends and historical chronicles. Our land is full of real events ready to be narrated in the right way. Consider the character of San Francis (from Assisi) visited Gualdum at least three times during the “HIMIL” time.

Thanks so much, again, for your interest. It brings enthusiasm and is vital for our project.
You can follow us on Instagram, mainly.

Please let me know if you have more questions about it!

Big up,

Tiziano

1 Like

Hi @Stevelois! Thanks so much for the compliments!!

Hi @Klian, thanks for the support!
Yes, we used virtual camera with iPhone or iPad. That was so much fun!

1 Like

Hey @FrankiePibbs grazie mille!
Sure you can promote it, we’re so close, let’s get in touch!

2 Likes

Sure, I write you privately!