High Poly-Count models?

Hi!

I want to make a really realistic-looking game; however, all of the models I want to use, take this, have a high poly-count.

Are these types of models compatible with UE4? I know that they dont work with a lot of game engines.

You could if you really wanted to, but you shouldn’t. If you wanted to do something like that the proper way would be to lower the poly count and use normal maps where needed.

You can import a high poly model, but your performance won’t be so good anymore :wink:

https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?3708--vert-and-poly-count

There are a number of ways to make your models game ready, but I’d recommend getting your hands on ZBrush if possible. With it, you can import your model and then use the new (v4.6) ZRemesher tool, which does a ridiculously good job of retopologizing high poly meshes. Once you have both a high and low poly version of your model, you can then use Project All to create normal, displacement, etc. maps, providing the detail you need on your lower poly mesh. You can also use programs like XNormal (which is free) if you’d like more flexibility when creating your high to low maps.

Good luck!
-D

No it doesn’t, it makes a complete mess of your loops and edge flow.
There is only one way to optimize a mesh, (none of these retoplogy tools work properly) and that’s by hand.
Creating a lower resolution mess based on a higher one is the easiest thing to do and the correct way to make a model for games. You then bake out your normal maps from Mudbox or ZBrush and use them for creating the illusion of depth and detail in your low res models.

Thanks guys. :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how I could get the grass from this tutorial? https://docs.unrealengine/latest/CHN/Resources/Showcases/BasicMaterials/index.html#simplematerials

I dont think that you can download it somewhere. During the beta time this was one of the demos that we (the beta testers) had access to :slight_smile: But nothing special was in it -> so just take the grass from the effect example

OK, thanks.

Also, I bought a model off of and when I opened the file labeled .obj, it was filled with .mtl files that I cant import. How do I import them?

Import your obj into a 3d program -> export it as a fbx -> import it into the UE4

No, it is 2 zip files, one is called model_vol2_obj and the other is model_vol2 and inside the first one is a bunch of .mtl files and inside the second one is a bunch of .c4d files.

Nevermind, I got it, there were a bunch of system files that were actually .obj files.

Thanks!

Normally it should also inclued a obj file, because as far as I know mtl files just contain the material information -> they will be automatically imported when you import the obj file

OK, now I have a new problem :frowning: The file I bought was a plant, and when I imported it to UE4, it said that the static mesh was for version 6.xxxx or something. Whenever I use it, its grey and there is a white box in the middle of it.

Have you imported it as a fbx now? When yes, from where have you exported it (, 3ds ,…)?
It is normal that its grey after you import it, because you will have to create and assign a material, that includes the texture, to your mesh.

Yes, I exported it from . When I import it, it says that the file version is 6.1.0 whereas the SDK version is 7.3.0. Also, why is there a box in the middle of it?

Then make sure that you have deleted the cube before you import the obj file into . The different file version shouldnt cause any problems -> so just ignore it :slight_smile:

Hi LexLuthor,

I love your videos! I’ve been following your work for quite some time, at least from your time on the UDK forums. I can definitely understand why an experienced artist would prefer doing all the topology work by hand. No algorithm can duplicate a good artist’s style or workflow preferences, or quality end result, especially if the mesh in question is to be animated.

For those of us who aren’t necessarily great 3D artists, though, I think the tool has great value. It’s a new addition (from 4.6), and quite different from the tool used in previous versions of ZBrush. It’s really a step above everything else I’ve seen that attempts auto-retopology, including 3D Coat (although I love 3D Coat’s manual topology tools).

The program can save valuable time on complex meshes, even when you have to do additional touch up. It allows you to use guidelines for specific topology in important areas, adjust (by paint) areas for higher and lower poly count, use symmetry as needed, and reduce or increase the influence of the algorithm as it affects curves and how it adapts to shapes in general. For areas where I already have a specific topology that I want left alone, like my character’s hands and face, I hide those parts in their own polygroups before using the algorithm.

The results of the default algorithm out of the box are just amazing. Areas that need to be changed can still be adjusted by hand, and for non-artists like myself, this is much faster than retopologizing an entire mesh by hand (unless of course it’s a simple mesh)! I’ve just found it to be a huge time saver so far, but again, I understand where you’re coming from and why you’d prefer to complete the process by hand.

Cheers,
-D

Thanks for that first bit :cool:
I’ve used Zremesher in the latest version of Zbrush, and I wasn’t impressed… The same thing with the retopology tool in Mudbox, (and that allows you to even draw curves to control loop and edge flow.) but they both seemed very inadequate and the loops were substandard.
As you point out though, this is OK for simple models I’d imagine.
I tried to simplify an apartment block from Liberty city, and Zremesher couldn’t even decipher where the edge bounds were, despite trying every conceivable setting. The other problem being that the settings are different for each model, so by the amount of time in effort trying to tweak the settings to get a reasonably decent outcome, you may as well have created a complete new model in low res using 3ds poly tools.

I’m going to be showing in my next series how to make a high and low res character in Mudbox . Should have part 1 up in a month or so :slight_smile:

ZRemesher does this as well. It’s a special brush pen, which I wouldn’t have found myself without a video tutorial. :o

Sounds great, looking forward to it!

Cheers,
-D

Hi Lex I am a beginner and I was wondering what’s the difference between retopology tool and retopologizing by hand and bake normal maps; I mean: if for example you use zremesher you don’t need normal maps and baking anyway?

The general workflow is that you create a high detail model–but that doesn’t work in a game engine, so you need to make a low-poly version of the model. Usually you have to retopologize–doing it by hand means you can model on top of the high-poly model so that it matches perfectly. After that, you would render normal maps from the high poly model to the low poly model.
Zremesher is a tool to try and avoid retopologizing by hand, it doesn’t always give results you want though and the way to get the best results is still to do it by hand.
Zremesher has nothing to do with avoiding normal maps, it’s just a way to get a low-poly version of your mesh, you would still have to render normal maps onto it.