Help with Landscape Grass Output on Static Mesh

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to get my grass to spawn on the grass portion of my large rock/cliff static meshes. The grass texture is world aligned and I would love to find a way to have my landscape grass spawn on that grass portion of the static mesh the same way it does on my landscape.

Here is a mockup outlining what I would like it to do:

Has anyone found a solution to this? I’ve searched everywhere and found the same question asked many times but haven’t found an answer.

Hi DSutherland.

The Prodedural Grass System only supports spawning grass meshes on landscapes. In your case I believe you can use Foliage Painting to place the grass meshes over the static meshes you need.

A fully automated solution could be possible via a custom construction script. You can trace static meshes and check for the Physical Materials on these and use the output to filter where to spawn Hierarchical Static Meshes over the surface of the static mesh.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the reply! It’s a bit of a shame that there’s no easy way to tie it in to the landscape system but the solution you mentioned should still be a much better alternative than hand painting every single stone. I’ll post my solution once it’s all working.

Did you ever figure this out?