Help with installing the VRExpansionPlugin

Hey there!

I’ve been trying to install the VRExpansionPlugin for UE since 2 hours, but I seem to fail.
When trying to build the solution after following the step-by-step tutorial from the wiki, this is what the console throws at me:

1>------ Build started: Project: UE4, Configuration: BuiltWithUnrealBuildTool Win32 ------
2>------ Build started: Project: TestProject1, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2>Building 24 actions with 4 processes...
2>  [1/24] SharedPCH.UnrealEd.cpp
2>d:\program files (x86)\ue_4.20\engine\source\runtime\core\public\Windows/WindowsPlatformCompilerSetup.h(21): error C2338: Visual Studio 2017 version 15.6 is required to compile on Windows. Please install updates through the Visual Studio installer.
2>  [2/24] SharedPCH.Engine.cpp
2>d:\program files (x86)\ue_4.20\engine\source\runtime\core\public\Windows/WindowsPlatformCompilerSetup.h(21): error C2338: Visual Studio 2017 version 15.6 is required to compile on Windows. Please install updates through the Visual Studio installer.
2>UnrealBuildTool : error : UBT ERROR: Failed to produce item: C:\Users\stefa\Documents\Unreal Projects\TestProject1\Plugins\VRExpansionPlugin\VRExpansionPlugin\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-VRExpansionPlugin.dll
2>                        (see ../Programs/UnrealBuildTool/Log.txt for full exception trace)
2>Total build time: 30.77 seconds (Parallel executor: 0.00 seconds)
2>D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(44,5): error MSB3075: The command ""D:\Program Files (x86)\UE_4.20\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" TestProject1Editor Win64 Development "C:\Users\stefa\Documents\Unreal Projects\TestProject1\TestProject1.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
2>Done building project "TestProject1.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I tried to google it but wasn’t able to find much.
I tried with the latest locked zip (4.19) from the bitbucket, and also with one of the binary pre-built plugins (4.20.2, the version I am currently using now)

From my experience trying to build the example scene and failing every time, the issue is probably within some missing components in Visual Studio.

I strongly suggest you to take a look at the docs about all the components than need to be installed, to see if you missed something somewhere.

Engine version 4.20 no longer compiles with Visual Studio 2015, you need to use 2017.

I have the same issue from yesterday. but Im on VS2017
I end up with everything working and I can see the both plugins in the blank project, but the example map or any of the bps are nowhere to be seen.
I basically have an empty project with the plugins :frowning:

Did you actually download the template project? The main download is just the plugin itself.

Err Nope!
Didn’t see it. Doh!.