HELP Which latest version of Unreal Engine I can run on my PC

I’m a beginner with Unreal Engine, this is my first contact and I know the limitations that my low notebook has. In the future I will change my PC, but at the moment I want to start using the engine and I would like it to be in the latest version possible.

If I had a choice, I would want to use version 5, even if it was the first one released. But since I know the limitations of my PC, I’ll be satisfied with whatever I get.

My specs from DirectX are:
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M

I downloaded Unreal Engine version 5.4.1 and every time I open it this popup appears:

The installed version of the NVIDIA graphics driver has known issues in D3D12.
Install the recommended driver version or switch to a different rendering API.

Would you like to access the following URL to download the driver?

https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Installed: 391.35
Recommended: 536.40 or latest driver available

Then the engine crashed:

I have no idea if the following is usable for the editor too or only for created games:

No, this is just for creating games. My problem is that I can’t even open the editor. But thanks for reply.

The editor is created with the engine, so I thought it should work. :frowning:

@Arthur_Pains:
As your components you listed include laptop components, you are probably already aware of how reduced the performance is going to be over a computer of the same era (2012 judging by your GPU).

I use a 2013 desktop for UE5, but with a slightly newer (2017) gpu. I have however been forced on occasion to use the onboard intel GPU with UE5 and I suspect my own experiences will be similar to yours once you get UE5 to run.

The main issue is the lack of RAM, and even more so, the lack of VRam (online says you’ll only have 1gb).

Speaking from experience, with this limited VRAM expect the Material Editor to be very crash prone, and shader compiles to crash the engine repeatedly. So, it may take multiple attempts launching the editor before all inital shaders have compiled, as once the VRAM is used up, it will crash.

Likewise moving assets around within the editor with only your 8GB of RAM may cause issues, for example if moving content from one folder to another, I may be able to move 49 assets, or some times only 3 at a time - so working out your initial folder structure on projects is key so that you don’t have to move assets about much.

The risk of file corruption when these crashes occur is (I have found) quite high, including on occasion the inability to open the assets any more without the editor crashing instantly. The Autosave folder is useful for restoring, but it doesn’t always autosave the files. Therefore diskspace for regular project backups is key for anything you don’t want to lose (or of course, cloud storage).

As to the driver, since it is a laptop GPU, to get that version your warning suggests would require you to try unofficial drivers off websites that create them where the latest drivers are patched to support/install for older cards. That’s at your own risk with no guarantee of success. As an aside in terms of hardware API support your GPU is DX 11.2.

Another option, presuming you have the diskspace would be to dualboot linux since then more of your system resources will be available to UE and the gpu driver should be newer and possibly more stable.

On the subject of diskspace, UE over time can use quite alot so make sure you have a good amount free.

I would however try @BugSwat’s suggestion of running the editor via a command prompt or powershell window and using one of the other renderer strings to launch the editor, to see what happens in terms of crashing:
e.g. c:\UE\binaries\UnrealEditor.exe -d3d11
(and change the path to the editor exe accordingly).

Also presuming it is a laptop and not a desktop with laptop parts, you will likely want to check your power settings are on High Performance, and you’re plugged into the mains and not running on battery power.