I’m sorry I can’t seem to upload things here. I have a very large map https://i.imgur.com/8tT7u0m.png that I am using to have different scenarios for Firefighters to teleport around and manage different scenarios. Each scenario has volume activated particles which are not active when the player is not present. After trying for two weeks to optimize it, I’ve decided to scrap it and start over, building small levels and streaming from a persistent staging level in which the player is in the fire truck and is “responding” to the call. I’m hoping this doesn’t break immersion because there will be radio traffic as they listen to the information about the call they are going TO, so I have 5-10 seconds when they won’t move.
That being said, I want to learn more about what went wrong. Note: most assets are from PolyPixel which have been demonstrated to work for VR as far as I know
Things I’ve tried :
- Set all Lights to Static (I STILL can’t bake precomputed visibility because it takes forever, 18 hours gets me to 2 percent, lightmass is set to a scale of 4, not one)
- Screenresolution changed to 50 % with no improvement
- All foliage actors removed shows minimal improvement
- Looking straight down does not improvement performance that much and the lowest is 11 m/s https://i.imgur.com/1Ly11DE.png
- Culling appears to work normal, see here https://i.imgur.com/lSNwTmJ.png
- Shader Complexity isn’t that bad, and again, I removed these trees to test - https://i.imgur.com/1YXrAq3.png
- Forward Rendering is enabled with NO performance increase. FXAA barely registered, it was like 0.3 - 0.5 m/s I believe.
- Ambient Occlusion is off in the World Settings AND Project settings, I have no post process volumes on the map
- Reprojection is disabled in the Steam VR settings)
- r.HZBOcclusion is set to 0. When I put it to one, my m/s DOUBLES
Please chime in and help me try different things. I don’t want to start over without understanding what went HORRIBLY wrong on this map. I also don’t want to re-duplicate all that effort and find out it was because of a simple global setting or optimization that I didn’t enable. (Might not even be a VR based optimization, I don’t know, I didn’t try forward rendering until the 2nd day of trying to fix things). Thank you very much for your help.