Help creating custom graph editor

(Using Unreal 4.27 at this moment)

So, I wanted to create a custom asset that would be editable using a graph with also custom nodes.

So far, I’ve studied most other questions about this topic as well as the Concord Plugin, Generic Graph and Flow Graph Plugin. I can already create my custom assets in editor (using factories) and open a custom editor, in which I placed a SGraphEditor associated with a generic UEdGraph.

But I don’t know how to proceed from here. As of now I am just trying to create some dummy nodes & the action to place them in graph, just to get a hold of the logic, with no success.

I know this is no trivial task, so I’ll try to narrow down my doubts in direct questions:

• I know that I’ll need UEdGraphNode, SGraphNode, UEdGraphPin, SGraphPin classes. What is the minimum I need to make a dummy node? Will I also need a runtime class (as in the Flow Graph Plugin)?

• Will I need a custom subclass or can I use UEdGraph, at least for now?

• What will the UEdGraphSchema need?

• How and When do I assign the node creation action? I’ve seen Unreal’s AnimBlueprint module, which (I think) uses Node Factories at the module startup, but some of the repositories I’ve mentioned use SchemaActions.

TLDR: I know most of the classes I need, but have no idea how they fit together. When I look for references in repos, I can’t be sure what is absolutely required for a node even “spawn” or just qol/custom features.

3 Likes