Heat / haze sun effect

Hello,

I would like to find a way to create this effect:

I have a material which acts as a custom sun sprite, this material is applied to a plane and placed in my level as the visual sun. I’d like to apply a material UV distortion effect to make it look hazy like in the picture.

How would I go about doing this?

Nvm found a way.

Here is how I do it:

You can also add another texture coordinate at the start and plug it into the panner to change the tiling of the normal map to have smaller distortions.

Hope you enjoy :slight_smile:

We do, but what is the large node in the middle and the node on the bottom right ?

Is it a post process material?

Oh, the large node in the middle is a radial gradient and the other one on the bottom is a dither node.

The radial gradient is a node that generates a radial gradient mask (white and black). I use that to make the sun disk.

The dither node transforms hard edges into dithered (small dots) much like a gradient but not smooth but with small dots. This node is used to make a masked material seem smooth, it also requires you to use temporal AA which is what kind of smoothes out the dither to make it appear more smooth, you can also use it though with other AA methods but than the dots become very obvious.