HDRI doesn't light up environment

Hi There, does anyone know why my hdri lit up the environment in my old UE5.0.3 project, but when i opened the project in 5.1 it doesn’t light up the scene anymore?

did i forget to check something?

Could appreciate some help!

Cheers,

Philip

@ZenLeviathan could u maybe help me with this? :slight_smile:

@3dRaven hey could u maybe help me with this? :))

Are you using the HDI Backdrop plugin? It’s off by default in 5.1

it seems to work with this tutorial

3 Likes

@3dRaven yess, the plugin was enabled…

also tried disabling it, restarting the engine, enabling it, restarting it again but it also didnt work. ■■■■ hahaha

@Ritterbecks Be sure to set the min and max exposure for the post process volume otherwise all is black

1 Like

@3dRaven putting in a sky light and a sky atmosphere also doesn’t light up the scene… so it is probably a different problem. you know what could be the case?

i also have atmosphere sun light enabled on the directional light settings

In the tutorial they delete all lights, skylights & env. lighting. The plugin has a built in skylight.

@3draven

thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

The first photo i sent has the plugin enabled and all possible lights disabled. still no light from the HDRI…

@Ritterbecks
hi, did you take a look in your default settings ?
project settings - engine - rendering

cheers

@AustrianMunzter Hi! thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have the same default settings as you got there in the screenshot.

it has something to do with the fact that i upgraded from 5.0.3 to 5.1. it’s an old project where everything was fine in 5.0.3, but in 5.1 the lighting is not good.

A quick example project I cooked up in 5.1 check if the lighting works ok there. Try swapping the hdr images in the HDR plugin asset that is in the scene. (I’m testing it on engine default HDR files)

@3dRaven did it, works like normal when i add in the default hdri backdrop. idk what to make of this

Could be the imported HDR file you tried had bad settings? (It could have been treated like a normal texture and not HDRI)

@3dRaven nope, tried changing to the default hdri and also doesnt work.

the problem is not in the hdri settings itself, but its a more general problem because adding a skylight + skyatmosphere also doesn’t light up the scene.

yet again thank u very much for taking the time, really appreciate it!!

1 Like

@3dRaven

just got a message saying “sky light waiting on shaders for final capture”

does that have something to do with my problem?

hi,
maybe this post can help you, i hope :slight_smile:

cheers

HDR Settings

In UE5.1 I’m having the same problem with my project. Even in the material or mesh editor preview window, assets appear with no diffuse lighting at all, only reflections. I suspect it may have something to do with raytracing features being enabled.

Do you have these project settings enabled?

If so, try disabling “Visible in Ray Tracing” on the HDRI Backdrop Geometry component in the details panel under the ‘Rendering > Advanced’ tab. Worked for me.

3 Likes

@CoolSmek @3dRaven @AustrianMunzter

i finally found the problem.

you should increase the HDRI Backdrop size to something above 500.

why the hdri doesn’t light up the environment when it has a size below 500, is still a mystery.

thanks yet again for all of y’alls help!

9 Likes