Having trouble with sprite sorting by Axis

Hi, I am having trouble with sprite sorting (the way your game renders sprites on top or below the other). I am making a topdown 2D game with pokemon/2d zelda character movement (free movement, doesnt snap to a grid). I want my character to be able to walk both in front and behind certain objects.

In project settings, there is a way to sort translucent things (Like sprites) along an axis. If I choose “Sort Along Axis” instead of “Sort By Distance”, and choose the Y axis (Which is the axis that my game character uses to go up and down) then, in theory and according to how the feature itself works it should work. So, I tried it.

344087-capture1.png

344088-capture3.png

All right, it seems to work but in the reverse of how I want it to : The character steps on top of the statue and goes behind it’s front. So I tried to fix it by changing the Y sort axis from negative to positive like so :

Aaaaand it changed nothing. The character still goes behind on the front of the statue and goes on top of the statue sprite when it should go behind it. I also tried rotating the whole game 180 degrees to reverse the Y axis sorting side and it still doesn’t change the sorting order. On top of this whole issue of sorting on the wrong side, there’s this awkward middle ground :

344079-capture.png

So I thought this was a engine glitch and went “Okay, it’s fine, I’ll use a newer version of unreal engine”. I tried using both 4.26 and 4.24 and the same thing happens, so I think it’s a feature rather than a bug. Does anyone know how I could make this right?