Have dropped items in world auto delete after X minutes?

Is there a way to have items dropped (or thrown) by players automatically get deleted after X minutes of no interaction? Sometimes people will drop or throw a large amount of items and it can get cluttered as they persist throughout the entire round.

It doesn’t happen too often but it would be a nice option as long as it didn’t interfere with items that spawn from item spawners and might be sitting there on the spawner.

I wasn’t sure if there was a global map setting somewhere that I’m missing.

2 Likes

Hi there! I’m on the UEFN docs team and I’d like to help you out. From my knowledge there is no way to make spawned items despawn over a period of time. I’m curious to know how these consumables are granted to players. There could be a tweak you can make there to stop having a cluttered play experience :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @UsedTires ,

This is specifically from my team vs game that I have out now. Each team can take consumables such as heals or shield items from item spawners. Sometimes they take some and change their mind or maybe their inventory was full so a few might not fit, etc. So the extras end up laying around in the team bases.

Rarely, a player will just start to spam items all over and it makes the base start to fill up with the items. Just to be clear, it’s not usually terrible. There might be 5-10 items in a base on average.

Also, each team starts with basic weapons and when they get gold they purchase new higher tiered weapons so usually there are a few old weapons laying around the vending machines as well.

I like to let teammates throw consumables to each other during the game so I don’t want to lose that ability. Let me know if you want any more details.

Thanks!

here’s an example of a game that had a low amount of players. I was spawning in and you can see 3 weapons on the floor and a splash on this side of the base.

There’s a few ways you might be able to limit the amount of consumables players receive so they don’t wind up with too much. You might already be using some of these devices, but here’s some ideas.

1. With the Round Settings Device you can clear all items when a player’s class resets. So if you reset all players’ class at the beginning of a new round, then they’ll have to search for new consumables at the beginning of each round instead of carrying them over.

2. Make sure the Island Settings Device option Infinite Ammo is set to False. This way players don’t get unlimited consumables.

3. Set the Island Settings Device option Eliminated Player’s Items to Delete. Then a player’s teammate will have to use their consumables on the downed player.

4. If you’re using an Item Granter Device, set the option Grant Condition to Only If Empty. Makes sure to only grant items to players who have space in their inventory.

I’m also going to reach out to my colleagues to see if there’s anything further you could do.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions:

1. I already do this and it helps from round to round.
  2. This is set as well.
  3. I don’t want people to lose any of their items such as weapons when they get eliminated, though.
  4. The only thing that I use the item granter is to give gold.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled to see if there are other options along the way.

There’s some discussion happening around your question. Once there’s a consensus, I’ll get back to you.

1 Like

@UsedTires Thanks for the update! That’s great to hear and I’m looking forward to any updates.

1 Like

the mutator zone device has an item lifespan setting maybe you could use a giant mutator zone to cover your entire play area with just that setting on.

1 Like

That’s interesting! I’ll look into that for sure as that would be a great option. I’ll, report back. Cheers!

@Hardcawcanary Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that will work well. I wish I could set the ‘remove’ time to something above 30sec but it’s not a huge deal. Not sure why we’re limited to 30sec though.

Feature request would be to allow us to pick any time for this value.

1 Like

Hello again! A colleague suggested using the Mutator Zone as well. Thank you @Hardcawcanary for helping out as well :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.