Hair & Facial Hair disappear when too close

Hi there,

I’m trying to fix this issue for days but can’t find any info anywhere or anybody having the same problem

I import a custom metahuman to UE5 (5.2.1), all the grooms are correct, but as soon as I get too close in the viewport (as soon as it switches to LOD1 and 0), all the facial hair and hair disappear. It seems most people have the opposite issue (= hair disappearing when getting too far). The only way to see the hair is to force LOD at 2, but as a result I lose a significant amount of details. For some reason the hair and facial hair are visible from LOD2 upwards, not before.

I’m running on macOS M1, monterey 12.3

thanks so much for your help!

Sx

1 Like

Same issue here buy in a windows PC did you had luck solving it?

nope, I thought it was because I’m on Mac (the metahuman plugin is only for Win), but if you have the same issue…

The super annoying thing is that Ada DOES show up with eyebrows and hair, although no eyelashes. But nothing else :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, I solved this by ajusting the metahuman root scale at : 1,0x 1,0y 1,0z. It worked for me.

I’m having the exact same issue. Metahuman with custom made hair in Blender, it all looks great and works great until I come close and then the hair disappears - but the shadow of the hair is still visible!

Anyone found a solution for that yet???

1 Like

Hey @razkoller I’ve been trying to figure this out for months as well. As @Meruem mentioned led me to adjusting the scale of the individual assets. That did the trick. I adjusted the scale of my eyelashes and eyebrows by a fraction. I noticed for some odd reason they were scaled at 1.11111 for X,Y and Z. When I adjusted them all to 1, presto, they’re showing up properly now.

Looks like this is a multi tiered issue between LOD settings and scale.

I hope this helps and works for you.

Hey @kovayas!
Thanks for the tip!
Amazingly that worked!

For me it’s the Z axis that did it for some reason.
It’s a weird one, but it works so I’m not complaining.

Thanks! :slight_smile: :+1:

Thanks for the info guys… unfortunately mine was already set to 1… but I did notice this circled in red… IT WAS BLANK so I copied what the original Hair had there… fixed my Custom hair disappearing at close range. Hope it may help others. Cheers.