Groom hair material overlaps translucent materials

I am having some issues with the default hair material in unreal . Once i add a groom component with the basic unreal hair texture, the alpha material on the character eyeball overlaps the hair material… funny thing its only doing in a certain distance. I uploaded a video about my issue. I tried to change the materials on the eyeball … if the eye material doesn’t setted as translucent the error doesn’t show, but than you cant really see the iris. I think the error is in the hair material, but i cant find any solution to fix it. I wonder if anybody had the same issue, or have any suggestion how could i fix this.

[Video][1]

Also heres a screenshot with the hair material, but again its just the basic unreal one

3 Likes

i got some similar problem with translucent objects in the background, which is also related to the view distance and not as one would think to the background objects bounds (which the character isn’t overlapping)

sidenote: the hair should render on top of the background material instead of clipping through it

2 Likes

I encountered this myself and found out it happens when you set the near clip plane to a very small value.
Increasing it should remove the artifact, but they really should fix the bug.

I tried notifying unreal about the issue but didn’t get a response.
Perhaps you can also log the bug to generate some momentum…

1 Like

thank you, actually worked for me to set the value from 1 to 10
if anyone else wants to test around with it, theres a console command r.setNearClipPlane which can be used instead of changing the project setting and restarting every time

however, the trade off is that anything close to the camera will be cut off, so i guess i’ll submit a bug report later, too.

2 Likes

Bump:

I’m hitting a very similar issue with translucent textures on eyes ‘shining’ through groom hair.
It seems to be worse in lower level lighting conditions.
Changing the near clip plane distance has not worked for me.

1 Like

same problem.
r.setNearClipPlane - didn’t fix

1 Like

In the translucent material, go to details and under Translucency/Advanced set the Translucency Pass to “Before DOF”.

8 Likes

Thank you, this resolved my issue and the translucent hair cap is working properly now

Hi, People! I found a solution that worked for me using the console command:

r.HairStrands.ComposeAfterTranslucency 0

6 Likes