Groom Exporter from blender, Free Addon

I released a Free Blender Addon for exporting the new Curves object datatype from blender to an alembic file with the Groom schema dictated by Unreal Engine, the exporter gets the Attributes from the object to export it as properties on the alembic file.

Download and more Information: Gumroad

Quick Manual: Drive

Currently, the addon was only tested on Windows. (Linux needs to research for the pyalembic library.)

5 Likes

Updated to version 0.1.2,
Updated Manuals: For Installation and for How to use the Addon

I was able to installl it and everything looks fine till you export. Im getting this error:
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\lucia\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.3\scripts\addons\GroomExporter\AlembicGroomExporter.py”, line 50, in execute
return create_file(context, self.filepath, self.groom_scale)
File “C:\Users\lucia\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.3\scripts\addons\GroomExporter\AlembicGroomExporter.py”, line 56, in create_file
oarch = CreateArchiveWithInfo( filepath, blender_version, userStr )
NameError: name ‘CreateArchiveWithInfo’ is not defined

Forget about it. Turbocheke is the man! It is working! Thanks a lot man!
Ps. I had to uninstall by hand and re install and everything works like a charm!

1 Like

Amazing work mate. I thought I was going to have to redo a bunch of hair assets.

Looks like Blender are planning on introducing Alembic support for the new hair system in the future - but I doubt it’ll have all of the functionality this addon does (exporting as groups feature is nice!).

I don’t understand how to use this, Exported Groom properly but it’s not carrying over the color of my mesh.

Thank you for sharing. I’ll give it a try.