Grass Placed Beneath Terrain?

Hello,

I’ve been getting my feet wet and working on a simple landscape in order to figure out U4. I’ve been banging my head through various blocks just by reading guides and threads, but I’ve run across a problem that doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere else.

I’ve created a custom grass plane, imported it into U4, and applied a material to it, but for some reason the grass seems to “sink” underneath my terrain mesh when applied. When I examined the object in the mesh editor, it was below the grid at what I believe to be the same level, which leads me to believe that when the model was imported, something fishy happened with the coordinates that resulted in this. However, I don’t know how to fix this. I’m working with Blender as my modeler if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated!

(As an aside, does anyone have any tips towards making my grass texture look a little nicer? I’d like to keep the simplicty of it, but any advice for nice shaders or smoother edges would be welcomed. I’d like to get this problem fixed first, though.)

Nevermind! Turns out that fiddling with positions in the mesh import dialog was the fix needed.

If there’s a more elegant way to fix this solution (preferably from the modeler so I don’t have to deal with this again), I’d appreciate someone sharing it, but otherwise feel free to disregard this thread.

Your model’s pivot is not at the bottom of the grass.

I actually thought that, and reset it toward the bottom in Blender, but when I exported it from there and then reimported it into Unreal, it didn’t seem to make a difference.

I’ll try it again next time though, in case I did it wrong.

The pivot also has to be at the origin (0,0,0) i believe… So snap the pivot to the bottom of the grass and then move the grass to 0 0 0 it should work then!

Ah, that might have been what I did wrong; I set the pivot to the bottom of my mesh, but not at the 0,0,0 coordinate. I’ll try that next time!