GPULightmass Crashing due to Invalid Geometry?

Hi Everyone, I’m currently trying to build Lighting with GPULightmass. I’ve built lighting before without an issue but just recently however I have been trying to build on levels and I get an error I have listed below with the crash report below. Here is a link to the issue within my engine as well. It seems when going into the CPP file for the lightmass error it gives me, this is due to invalid geometry. Is there a way to check for meshes or components with invalid geometry so I can fix this or any sort of fix for this? I have a Ryzen 9 3900x with a 3080 12gb. I have lowered light map settings, removed certain components, and more and this seems to be across levels with strictly static meshes imported from the UE marketplace. If anyone has any fix for this it would be much appreciated. I am also aware the map in the video does not require lighting to be built but this is across multiple and many levels with meshes that have invalid geometry. I have also allowed the engine to update the lightmaps if it ask and this proplem persist even when it updates. lmk if you have any further questions, Thank you.

What my IDE informs me:
Log LogGPULightmass LightmapTilePool created with 1095.94MB
Log LogGPULightmass Irradiance cache initialized with 448.00MB
Log LogTemp Static lighting system is created for world Lvl0.
Warning LightingResults No importance volume found and the scene is so large that the automatically synthesized volume will not yield good results. Please add a tightly bounding lightmass importance volume to optimize your scene’s quality and lighting build times.
Display LogMaterial Material /Game/Textures/KillBoxFog.KillBoxFog needed to have new flag set bUsedWithStaticLighting !
Error LogWindows appError called: Assertion failed: InstanceDesc.GeometryRHI [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\RayTracing\RayTracingInstanceBufferUtil.cpp] [Line: 74]
Error LogWindows Ray tracing instance must have a valid geometry.

Crash Report:
Assertion failed: InstanceDesc.GeometryRHI [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Renderer\Private\RayTracing\RayTracingInstanceBufferUtil.cpp] [Line: 74] Ray tracing instance must have a valid geometry.

UnrealEditor_GPULightmass!GPULightmass::FSceneRenderState::SetupRayTracingScene() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\GPULightmass\Source\GPULightmass\Private\LightmapRenderer.cpp:1120]
UnrealEditor_GPULightmass!GPULightmass::FPointLightRenderState::RenderStaticShadowDepthMap() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\GPULightmass\Source\GPULightmass\Private\Scene\Lights.cpp:609]
UnrealEditor_GPULightmass!GPULightmass::FScene::AddLight<UPointLightComponent>'::2’::<lambda_2>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Plugins\Experimental\GPULightmass\Source\GPULightmass\Private\Scene\Scene.cpp:459]
UnrealEditor_GPULightmass!TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<GPULightmass::FScene::AddLight<UPointLightComponent>'::2’::RenderThreadUpdateName,GPULightmass::FScene::AddLight<UPointLightComponent>'::2’::<lambda_2> >::DoTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Public\RenderingThread.h:209]
UnrealEditor_GPULightmass!TGraphTask<TEnqueueUniqueRenderCommandType<GPULightmass::FScene::AddLight<UPointLightComponent>'::2’::RenderThreadUpdateName,GPULightmass::FScene::AddLight<UPointLightComponent>'::2’::<lambda_2> > >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1265]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:758]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:649]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!RenderingThreadMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:411]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRenderingThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:537]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

1 Like

hi @Shinjuku007 ,
Scroll down in

Lightmass Basics In Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

You need the Lighting important volume to select an area for GPULightmass to render.
Currently to are attempting to render the whole Scene . Using Several LIV each will be processed
WTF Is? Volume - Lightmass Importance in Unreal Engine 4 (youtube.com)

Read the original
Gpu Lightmass Global Illumination In Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community (epicgames.com)

Read the new
Download the ‘Lighting in Unreal Engine 5 for Educators and Students’ guide

The Epic GPULightmass forum
Epic’s GPUlightmass - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

and
Luoshuang’s GPULightmass - Development / Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums (unrealengine.com)

Thank you, While I dont have time to read all of the links provided now since I have to go to work soon, I will read them later and get back to you as to what fixes this crash.