GPU VRAM Over Used

Hello, I do not know what is happening but unreal engine taking too much GPU VRAM even its default third person template taking 3 GB of VRAM… I played games made in unreal engine like DaysGone ,Fortnite ,Valorant and other games but they are not using too much GPU VRAM.

Kindly help with this…

Hey there @Kunal_Bhorodiya! Sorry to hear you’re having performance issues, may I know your computer specs and which version of the engine you’re using? Here’s a video that could help you determine what is producing all that graphical weight in the meantime.

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

Hi @SupportiveEntity I am using 3070 TI With 8GB of VRAM and i7 12 Gen processor and 64 GB of RAM.

I am Using Unreal Engine 5.1 Source Build.

Did the profiling point to any large outliers in game?

For the most part the actual editor is a significant heavy portion of it (roughly 30% of the weight). There’s also a GPU safety buffer it allocates on it’s own. Within builds this is significantly reduced.

Yes it help little bit…
Also I have metahuman in my game doesn’t matter I am playing game in editor or not they are taking too much VRAM I reduce the texture size but didn’t work so I delete them than 4GB or VRAM got free…

I do not know if I am doing something wrong because as per my knowledge UE should only use the texture or meshes that are currently rendering on the screen…

One more issue I found is when I create landscape its show ugly shadow at the edge of it. I do not know how to remove this I tired by disabling shadows and raycasting shadows and landscape shadow etc. It only happens when I create landscape using Editor not when I am importing from 3rd party application like world creator.

You’ll get a red message on screen that warns you about the texture pool size as soon as you have a landscape actor in your scene. I usually ignore it. Maybe you can call it a bug. There was a thread I remember where people say that landscape always causes a warning about textures exceeding the limit. It may not mean that the game will have that problem.

Virtual textures are default now and they also seem to require a lot of texture memory. But that might also just be an editor issue.

Finally always try to use texture sizes based on a power of 2. Eg 1024 x 1024, 512 x 2048 and so on. This way unreal can build texture Lods (mipmaps) that can be used if the full size texture isn’t required.

Or reduce excessive texture sizes. Not everything needs to be 4k. You can reduce this in the editor per texture. I’m not on the computer so I can’t recall the exact setting. Something like ‘max texture size game’. Default is 0. Half size would be 1. Quarter size 2. Let me know if you need a better explanation.

The final judgement will be when you play your ‘game’. If it runs well then no need to fix it.

1 Like

Great points for some optimization! What type of world is this in? When working with world composition and tiling (the old system) this can occur with larger landscapes, and is usually corrected when any curvature is added to the landscape cel it’s in. However if this is world partition and this is a landscape proxy, there might be other issues at play.

I noticed in the transition from UE4 to UE5 that in almost identical use case scenarios UE5 eats VRAM a lot more aggresively.

I can’t speak to why this is but there a lot of people complaining that 8GB VRAM is starting to be too low for next gen AAA games, and I can certainly say it is no longer enough for any sort of intensive dev work unless you’re willing to spend a large amount of time on optimisation.

I bit the bullet and got a 3090 with 24GB VRAM and it was well worth the cost. I work with extremely large arch viz assets such as Revit masterplans, and I was finding the 20GB VRAM in my A4500 wasn’t enough for some particularly demanding scenes I have.

Bottom line is Unreal these days eats VRAM and it’s only going to get worse as time goes on

1 Like

This is 10X10 KM plane area with grass texture. but I have seen the same in default landscape provided by unreal template…

So according to you 8GB ram is not worthy now to creating games…
Like I played games like tomb raider or days gone but they only takes 4 to 5 gb of VRAM…

Tomb Raider - 2018, Crystal Engine

Days Gone - 2019, UE4

It’s 2023 and we are using UE5, which is significantly more VRAM intensive than either of your examples. Go ahead and use an 8GB VRAM card if you wish, but I know I wouldn’t.