GPU Lightmass gives completely broken results in 5.3.1

Hey! I’ve been struggling with GPU lightmass not working at all and creating broken results that are nothing like what CPU lightmass produces. I have a very simple scene with:

• Static meshes with World grid material (non-Nanite)
  • Stationary directional light
  • Static skylight

With CPU lightmass, bounce lighting is calculated correctly:

(Preview quality, Lighting only visualization)

However GPU lightmass, on default settings, produces a completely broken light build:

(Lighting only visualization)

Lightmap density is very high across the scene:

Some other relevant project settings:

• Virtual shadow maps enabled
  • Virtual texture lightmaps enabled

Any idea what is causing this complete breakdown inside GPU lightmass?

I made sure I have up-to-date Studio drivers installed, but no difference there.

Same.

GPU Lightmass works only once when I change virtual texture settings and force engine to recompile all shaders. But if I create new master material or change existing it breaks again.

The only solution I’ve found till this moment is to recompile all shaders and do not touch materials…

1 Like

Can confirm the exact same behaviour on our end as well.

However it seems like either most people aren’t having the same issue, or almost nobody is using GPU Lightmass with 5.3.1?

In UE 5.3.1 Build → Lighting you need to set Lighting quality to Production for CPU Lighting build which will probably take many hours. At the end of the build, you will still not have the shadows for the Spherical object in your scene.

Luoshuangs GPU Lightmass (LGPU) 5.3-1 patches for Unreal Engine 5.3.1 Epic Binary will use the multiple GPUs of your Nvidia Graphics card to complete the same Lighting Build in Minutes. The shadow problems above are fixed and the default can be set to Production quality by changing the values in a text file.

See the post Luoshuang's GPULightmass - #2489 by Jimbohalo10

On a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, this same test can be completed in under 4 minutes.
If you are lucky enough to have an RTX-3090 Ti or an RTX-4090 the people who have tested this are reporting times of 47 seconds as the fastest for RTX-4090 and 57 seconds for RTX-3090 Ti.
The Architectural Visualization, Arch Viz community has been using this for years.

1 Like

Yeah it’s crazy, this is kind of a requirement for VR, but seems like Epic has abandoned baked lighting :frowning: