Gpu crash/d3d device removed error?

its mean the GPU VRAM is out of limit or is expecting a RAM connection in range according to the pixels being rendered… or a lightning rendering space is failed on GPU side.

in most cases in short this issue is related to GPU drivers.

It feels like this gpu crash it’s never going to end what so ever :unamused::anger:. And I don’t think epic games it’s ever going to fix this issue anytime soon. Because right now, I just feel like I’m just gonna be taking a long break from it :worried::pensive:

UPDATE: Based on additional testing with 5.0.2 built from source, just building may have made a small difference, but I just applied a fix mentioned in this post, and so far that seems much more solid (no crash yet, and I have been doing things that virtually guaranteed a crash in the past):

I can’t say what impact it will have on other issues, but for my constant crashing with Metahumans, it appears to be a winner.

Original post:
Yes, the compiled version of UE5 solved my issue. Note that based on recent testing, it is possible that having the editor compiled for debug rather than release helps my problem. I had initially compiled the ue5_main branch (pre-5.1), and assumed that a fix had been applied in the branch. More recently, however, I compiled the release branch (5.0.2), and that version also seems to resolve the issue.
I discovered today that there are still less common circumstances that can cause a crash with my compiled version (still need to figure that out), but my crashes with Metahumans on the released 5.0.2 are so frequent that I can’t get much done.
I didn’t mention it before, but my card is an RTX 3090.

Dude, it feel likes there’s nothing we can do with this situation. And I don’t know when epic games staff will ever fix this problem. Trust me, it’s been stressing from the past couple of months now ever since when I just had started it from April when I had gotten a nice new pc for it. And I don’t know if I can able to continue with my projects what so ever :pensive::pensive::pensive::pensive:. And I’m starting to be frustrated and upset now

Hey i know had the same depressing feeling when ue5 constantly crashed for me. I said it in the thread several times and I don’t know if the most recent Nvidia drivers finally solved the issue but: Install Windows 10. It is the only way to fix the GPU Crash issue to my knowledge. I know it sucks but having UE5 back and not crashing finally is great. If you have Windows 11 you can use the same license for Windows 10, if you don’t know your license key you can find out easily using power shell/command line. Just do it and if we know it is reliably fixed go back to windows 11.

Been testing game drivers 516.40 as @gustavorios2 mentioned on my 12900/3090 system for the last 5 hours did not get a single crash. Normally I would have crashed at least 20 times. Will test on a 5950X/3090Suprim. PS(removed all downclocking parameters, regedits, etc etc. Back to default)

2 Likes

Same here. Removed NVIDIA studio driver and went with latest NVIDIA game driver. No downclocking. RTX3800. Crash free so far.

1 Like

FWIW: The DefaultGraphicsRHI=DefaultGraphicsRHI_DX11 worked for me. Changing the Windows Registry did nothing to fix it, even after a reboot. Unity worked out of the box without this problem. Again, just FYI. Your milage may vary. (No criticisms or complaints intended. I think all of these products are amazing. Just sharing my own observations.
)

Yesterday I spent 8 hours without a crash on my 12900/3090Asus with the 516.40 game drivers. Today I have been testing on a 5950X/3090MSISuprim. Not a single crash. On a normal day I get 50 crashes. My level is pretty intense. Metahuman, custom clothes, custom groom, lumen, raytraced shadows, emissive materials, lots of rect light. Scene is around 9M polygons. Everything is back to normal, dark days are over.

3 Likes

this is nice you updated drivers or upgraded , keep it up upgrading

for anyone that has been trying to help out on gpu crash d3d error that has been constantly doing it too many times, I have tried everything of what one of you guys told me to do. and also I just gave up on GitHub version too. So I’m probably gonna be stepping away from unreal engine for a long while whenever something can be fix ever again. so thanks for trying to help anyways

Many thanks
the file name is DefaultEngine.ini

but it didn’t work for me with UE5
10100f - 16gb ram
Armor rx470 8gb. adrinaline latest driver 22.6.1.
UE4 is already DX11

but at least I don’t have to restart the PC in order to see the Icon info text and other staff like that.
Many thanks again

Install windows 10. the crashes will go away. Sadly the only real solution. No Crash for me since I went back to win 10 2 months ago.

5.0.3 is available… and this looks promising:
UE-132964 D3D12 GPU crash in AncientGame for Win11

it kinda looks like they finally fix the d3d12 error very well :+1: And I’m very happy now with this :grin:

Hey Gustavo,
I just read you also had your screen turned black with the crash.

I am experiencing the same thing when the message pops up, and I don’t find that is common.
Actually, I think just the LCD light goes OFF, because if I put a bright light to the screen I can still see the menus and the mouse moving.

I am also experiencing random second monitor crashes, which gets resolved cutting the power and giving it back to the monitor, without touching anything on the pc side. Do you have any of those?

I am on a laptop, running CPU and rtx 3080 GPU at apparently normal temperatures as I monitor them, and cooling is working fine. Also on latest Nvidia drivers.

Will try the solutions previously posted.

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

Welp, I was wrong. The gpu crashed error is still doing it again. Nothing else I can do about. Just probably gonna have to wait in the future for gpu removed d3d error to be fix whenever it does :pensive:

@Joshuab_artist let’s see if I can help you…

1.-How many layouts do you have?

2.-What about resources?

3.-What about FrameRate (24 is the good one if you want feel it real)

4.- It is not necessary to have post process, screen percentage like 200 and ultra settings all the time activated…

The difference is huge using the editor, and the graphics difference is not crazy

5.- What about PoolSize? are you using Virtual Textures?

6.-Also take a look In the file:
“XXX\Engine\Config\ConsoleVariables.ini”

change:
; disable GPU Timeout
r.D3D12.GPUTimeout=0

1 Like

I’ll just rather do gpu timeout only. Because everything else of the graphics is fine. I’m not trying to disable Realtime graphics. And that is just no fun at all. but thanks for trying

Ok @Joshuab_artist, I didn’t say about disabling real-time…

I mean ** for example:** Don’t use post process with raytracing enabled turbo powered for reflections, refraction, translucent, shadows, transmission, real capture skylight… in editor view… makes no sense.

The problem (90%) is because your graphic card reaches the limit, then it crashes, as normal:

If you tell me the settings, I can suggest to you something…

Also I see you are using metahuman, does it crashes the main metahuman project from the marketplace? Just download and try…

1 Like