Gpu crash/d3d device removed error?

this was my issue as well, never would have guessed it, thanks for the tip!!!

1 Like

np you’re welcome! Glad it helped!

Unreal will disconnect your card if.

1- Not enought Vram.
2- Overclocking
3- Using old driver or not up to date.

Unreal always disconnected my card, I was starting to go crazy and never overclocked my card. I’m not a computer parts geek so… I bought the best card of the moment but after some research I bought an Asus RTX 3070ti… I hadn’t realized that on the box of my card there was written “OC” it means the GPU is overclocked out of the box… i felt silly… so i download the Asus GPU Tweeker and lower the frequency to 1500, “normal state” this solves the problem for me, it also make my GPU quieter… it still adds this error sometimes when i work with the big world and i load all the proxies from my world partition but it’s related to the vram and not to the GPU frequency anymore.

I hope it help some of you.

1 Like

I seem to have finally solved this for my project by dialing down the Lumen GI quality settings and underclocking the GPU.

Underclocking alone seemed to help somewhat when I went really low (-500).

FPS lock via NVC and TDR Manipulator (suggested elsewhere) didn’t seem to have any effect.

1 Like

It works!!
thanks a lot!

1 Like

This was my issue. THANK YOU!!!

2 Likes

I had about 50 crashes in the last 2 weeks. What worked for me was simply switching to Vulkan. There are some issues with directx12 or lumen it seems. I don’t get any crashes with any modern demanding game though.

1 Like

UE 5 release and updates. Did pretty much everything in this post. Although it seems to a tad better Im still hitting around a crash every 5-10 minutes. Unworkable. Usually dies when playing with shaders.

After many tests, dont’t work for me.

I found my simple solution.

I have a RTX 2060, chance in Geforce Experience the " Driver Game Ready" To “driver Studio”, I work one hour without any crash, before crashs in 1 minute.

I found my simple solution.

I have a RTX 2060, I chanced in Geforce Experience the " Driver Game Ready" To “Driver Studio”,
I work one hour without any crash, before crashs in 1 minute.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought of that in a million years, but that did it! Also thanks to @noswahj your approach of using a separate profile for the UnrealEditor.exe works flawlessly.

1 Like

is there a bug report for this? Some fixes made the problem less frequent but none solved it.

2 Likes

It’s not a bug of the engine per se. Yes Engine causes it, but the fault at drivers/firmware/gpu.

If you still think that’s a bug. And you have a specific steps that can reproduce it on any hardware - you can use Bug Report option in the Editor help menu.

Did you try downclocking your VRAM on the GPU? That RESOLVED it for me.

Yes, I tried everything. What reduces crashes greatly here for me is to limit the fps to 15… Groom I can’t even get close. The crash is practically instantaneous.

1 Like

Mid May and still no fix, tired all those things. Running 3090 and 10900K. It particularly happens when there’s groom being rendered. Switching to DX11 helps but no raytracing isn’t an option.

Sadly the only thing that worked for me was going back to Windows 10. have a 3080ti.

I’ve been wanting to reinstall windows 10 for a while to test if it would solve the problem, but since I haven’t seen anyone mentioning it so far, I haven’t done it yet.

I think there must be a problem with the 30 cards from Nvidia and windows 12. I had UE5 running no problem before on windows 11 with an older gtx 1080.

1 Like

Hello guys! A couple of links, I hope it helps!!

[FIX Your Crashing Renders (GPU and D3D Device Removed Crash) - Unreal Engine 4.26 - YouTube](FIX Your Crashing Renders (GPU and D3D Device Removed Crash)

5 Likes