Googles Draco Library integrated into UE 5.1.1.

Hello Team,
I had a requirement whrein I wanted to import a draco compressed glb file exported from blender into UE 5.1.1 . However as of today UE is not supporting Draco Compression .
So I have integrated the googles draco library into my module of my plugin and now I am able to import a draco compressed glb into UE 5.1.1 . I had to make a few adjustments in the draco library to support the build in UE . I would like to share my module if anyone is interested .

1 Like

hi! I’m looking for a solution for importing Draco into UE5 & would love to check out your module. If you’re still open to share, let me know. Really appreciate it.

@emsieler Yes I can share . I have customized the gltf importer to import the draco compressed file . Shall I upload it on the github ?

FYI, draco compression support for glTF/glb import has been added to the upcoming 5.4 version of UE.

1 Like

@emsieler As @UE_FlavienP just confirmed the support is available in upcoming release . If you can wait till 5.4 then no need of my customized plugin

@UE_FlavienP How about supporting CustomProperty field from Blender in UE ? It serves as a metadata . We also added the logic to import and export of CustomProperty .

Thanks for reporting,
I will put it in our backlog.

1 Like

@emsieler
glb importer

It has a couple of more features like support of CustomProperty from Blender . You cannot visually see the customproperty in UE …but when you export the glb to gltf …u will see it in a JSON format tag

Would be nice to not only import but also use this format inside cooked asset.

Or method used by unreal gives better compression?

(post deleted by author)