Good practices on scanning small objects with RealityScan

Hello everyone,
Hope you’re all well :slight_smile:

I’m happy to share some good practices and my workflow for scanning small objects with RealityScan.
In this case, a Milka chocolate :chocolate_bar:

• For scanning small objects and getting better textures, I attached a macro lens to my iPhone with a ring light in order to get better lighting on every pics, avoiding unwanted shadows.

• We can also add a cross polarized filter in front of macro lens in order to avoid unwanted reflections sometimes created by the ring light.

• As I’m using macro lens and it’s very close to the chocolate, I drew a small marker as a grid, so RealityScan recognizes this is the “floor” of our scanned object.

• RealityScan sends your scanned object directly to your Sketchfab account, so you can download from there.

• I removed unwanted polys, smoothed the mesh and painted/corrected the texture in Blender.

• Scene rendered in Unreal Engine 5.1 (raytraced with Lumen).

Thinking about very low budget/accessible to everyone, I used all free softwares and app, and I tested with these macro lens and ring light from SHEIN (around $6.50 + shipping):

Hope you like those tips! :slight_smile:
Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi there @andersonrohr,

Hope you’ve been well!

I still remember the Christmas doll scan you’ve done in the past - so seeing your new work is always exciting! Super glad you also showed a video of how you created the scene and all the work you put into the material appearance. It looks great :slight_smile:

As always, thanks for sharing and letting us see all the work you put in.

2 Likes

Hello @PresumptivePanda
I hope you’re well too :slight_smile:

I’m very happy you enjoyed my work and still remember my Christmas stuff :smiley:
Thanks for your words!

Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you, @andersonrohr, for sharing another impressive reality scan with us (chocolate is always a great choice :chocolate_bar:)! I appreciate the attention to detail and the cinematic quality of this edit. It’s always remarkable to see how life-like these scans can appear. :star_struck:

As a fan of your work, I can tell you have a genuine passion for what you do, which truly shines through in your creations. Keep up the great work! :grin:

1 Like

Hey @Zezkaii thank you so much for your feedback!
Yes indeed, I really love what I do everyday. Thanks to Unreal I skip the boring part of rendering one scene in days/weeks so I can focus more on the creative process and keep testing workflows.

RealityScan is AMAZING!!! Nothing better than textures from real life to be on the models, so every 3d model is unique (like objects in real life) :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like

Saw that you used blender, Should’ve read 3 more words before commenting lol

2 Likes

hahah, no problem. Feel free to ask me anything if you have doubts. I’m glad to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Only one thing that I’m not fully understanding is how to smooth out the texture applied after scanning and importing into Blender, I’m thinking maybe I just had a bad scan since the Normal Map looks to be peaking through the texture (even after smoothing the mesh and painting the texture) - Have you seen this before or know how to fix it?

Normal Map

Texture Map

[LEFT]: Imported directly [RIGHT]: Model after smoothing and painting

2 Likes

Hi! Have you tried playing around with normal parameters on your 3d software?
I remember sometime ago I had this issue importing into Cinema 4D (maybe something with normal map and lights on the scene) but when importing into UE5 it worked fine for me.
Please let me know if you solved it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m surprised this works, because the reconstruction software typically has an estimate of the intrinsic transform of the lens, and when you add a macro lens, that changes a lot!

(Not complaining, just expressing surprise :smiley: I remember when cameras had to be carefully calibrated by taking 20 pictures of a chessboard in a bunch of different orientations …)

2 Likes

Lots of trials and errors to get this result hahah.
RealityScan is a powerfull app indeed :slight_smile:

2 Likes