Glass texture not working

Hello there!

I’m fairly new to the engine and I’m trying to make a geodesic dome with glass windows that I created in blender (which I’m also not familiar with). I’ve set up the textures in blender so that the triangles and the edges between them can have different materials. However, when I put the glass material from the startercontent for the triangles the whole dome greys out like in the picture. When I select any other materials it works just fine however. What could be the problem here?

Just try moving one of the nodes in the glass material so that you can recompile it. That may help…

Thanks for the answer but that did not work. The glass material itself is working on other props from the startercontent so I think there is something wrong with my dome mesh however I can’t figure out what.

Make a really basic glass material, or have a go with this pack. It’s good and free:

It appears that this is a bug with UE5 (Yes I know this is the UE4 thread). When I try the glass in UE 4.26 it works perfectly.

Ooo, nice. I seem to recall it’s a pretty basic material…

verry weird that the glass shader packaged with UE 5.0.3 doesn’t work.
Can anyone confirm it’s a bug and not just us ?

Also if its us please tell us what we are doing wrong.

For me, it clearly works in the material editor but not in the main viewport.

Here is a picture unlit without glass.
UnrealEditor_MDxA4gZQSe

1 Like

Can you do a better picture of what’s not working? Can’t see anything there…

The picture on the left is a display case.
The gray part is geometry that has solid glass windows.

Hmm, works for me…

hi, were you able to fix it? it happens the same to me

Apparently it’s a nanite bug for external fbx. When importing the mesh that will use translucent material, disable the nanite check.

ref: Help With translucent Material on imported mesh, Please? :(

2 Likes

I never got it working I can only get the shader working on geometry spawned within unreal itself

As observer having ‘glass’ material issues…! Thank you for the link provided. It may seem obvious, but it is very valuable for new peeps to be steered in useful directions, given there’s so much to cover re the engine. Thx again for heads up.

3 Likes