Getting Started with VR

offtopic but on theme :smiley:
Have to share with somebody :smiley:

Iā€™ve been through the GoogleVR Quick Start instructions and basically all worked fine.

However one issue I am getting is that the outlines of objects are horribly jagged and pixelated looking. Itā€™s not an issue with resolution on my device (Nexus 6P with Android 7) because the jaggedness is at a resolution equivalent to several device pixels, and also surface shading and clouds in the sky sphere look really quite good. The only thing I initially changed from the project created from the instructions was to drag a few primitive meshes into the scene.

I have tried various settings to attempt to resolve this, e.g. anti-aliasing options, but havenā€™t found anything that makes much difference.

Have others been experiencing similar and any ideas of how to fix it?

great article on getting started
http://galacticbrief.com/index.php/2016/11/13/want-get-virtual-reality/

On multiplayer for VR, hereā€™s some tips from our dev team.

The general gist of how to set it up is:

• Make sure that the CameraComponent has bLockToHMD true for the owning client only. will make sure that the owning client uses his own HMD position at all time. Make sure bLockToHMD is false for all non-owning clients. will mean their camera will do nothing, by default.
  • Every tick, get the CameraComponentā€™s relative transform on the owning client, and replicate that to the server via a server replicated event
  • Replicate that to client from the server, via a multicast event
  • In that multicast event on the client, set the CameraComponentā€™s RelativeTransform to the one that was replicated.
  • Repeat the same process for motion controllers, if needed! They donā€™t need the bLockToHMD flag though.

Voila! Lots of people have done in UE4, and there was even a Stanford course (CS211) that was offered that was all about multiplayer in UE4 with VR. LayoutVR also made a whole course on that, and has a great set of lessons, if people want to sign up (http://layoutvr.com/).

Also, donā€™t forget to check out Couch Knights on the launcherā€™s Learn tab for a pre-made online VR experience you can take apart and learn from. Though it was built for DK2, it still uses replication in a way that is relevant for modern VR systems.

Recently people in #ue-vr on Discord said that replication isnā€™t working for controllers (or something like that). Maybe a training stream about high performance multiplayer VR with motions controllers (Vive or Touch) using Blueprints would be a good idea? (after Thanksgiving)

is basically what tried to do to work around it.

Get the 3 Transforms on the Local Client, push them to the Server and let the Server update else.

Just how you would imagine that it works. Thanks for sharing though! (:

If someone has time, try it out and see if the VR stuff replicates properly.

Weā€™ve made demo VR maze for HTC Vive at Program-Ace with Unreal Engine. Itā€™s quite a simple project, it took about a week, but still quite impressive

Thanks a lot for info. Does anybody maybe know how I could take the Stanford course if Iā€™m not a student there? Is even possible?

Iā€™m sorry but the forum and the answerhub seems dead, can someone please put a few minutes on my problem and attempt to help me?
Iā€™m trying to help others as well so it would really be nice to get some help back.
Hereā€™s my problem: Replicate pawn switch & possession - Multiplayer & Networking - Epic Developer Community Forums

Hey guys,
i have a quite basic question. Till now i used a template to use the HTC VIVE in my project, the Proteus Template. It is awesome, but i would like to know how to migrate the hands and the added functions and stuff like in the VR Template ā€œMotion Controller Mapā€ instead. The template doesnā€™t run good with the 4.15 and i would have to replace it with the 2.1 anyway.
Which files do i need and what do i have to change in my project?
Thank you very much for your help!

Hey Folks, I have a quick question, hope is the right spot.
So I want to set my unreal project up for VR and the VIVE.
normally I start with the VR template and I donā€™t have any problems.
time the project was created already as a ā€œBlank Templateā€, I tried to implement the VR Template but it doesnā€™t really work.

So basically my question is, to be able to walk around through that level in VR what do I have to do?
I did not really find anything helpful online so far, I believe that it is a quiet simple thing to do and I am just missing it.
Or do I have to create a new Level with VR PreSets?

Cheers

• LB

Hello there,
all you need to do is to migrate the level you created on any template (ex: First Person Shooter) to the VR Template, then you must add a ā€œNavMeshBoundsVolumeā€
and donā€™t forget to delete the cameras and pawns and the ā€œStart Playerā€ you migrated from your scene and place the new ā€œMotionControllerPawnā€ from the VR Template into the scene.

works as your starting point in the level, and to know if your NavMeshBoundsVolume is well placed all you need is to press the ā€œPā€ Button to show you the affected area you can navigate with your controllers. and makes sure it covers all the navigation area you want.

Most important ! donā€™t forget to select the motion controller pawn you placed in the scene and change the Auto Posses Player to ā€œPlayer 0ā€.

and let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks Nobel that was surprisingly helpfulā€¦as an Unreal noob I was scratching my head on because I missed the "Auto Posses Player to ā€œPlayer 0ā€ setting ā€¦much appreciated.

good Documents for VR. I also want a guide on VR for iOS, please share more about it.

NVIDIA VR Funhouse editor is extremely slow and wonā€™t load correctly on Oculus Rift.

I know is an ā€œoldā€ free game, and maybe the editor is straight broken with it now but Iā€™ve been trying to dip my toe into VR development by making some mods.

I was following NVIDIAā€™s official tutorials on youtube and have noticed that trying to add anything new in blueprints takes a long time to bring up the menu when I right click. On top of that frustration when I go to test it I canā€™t choose a Play option because the arrow drop down wonā€™t work and simply pressing play I only hear sound with the head set on.

Would anyone have any insight on this? Would the fact that Oculus, SteamVR, and UE4 having to all be open while modding be a good reason?

Appreciate any response, thanks!

Footstep sounds in VR. Yay or nay?

I like the ambiance of the old Resident Evil games where thereā€™s no sound except for your footsteps. But Iā€™m afraid the movement speed and footstep sounds will throw players off balance. Guess Iā€™ll implement it and find out.

Hi, hi , Iā€™m studying program, but Iā€™m still a beginner.
How do I add the ability to navigate in VR on a project already implemented without possibility? :slight_smile:
I have already tried many solutions, but I canā€™t insert the VR mode in an Archiviz project without VR.
Do you have any solution?
I have attached the image of the project I purchased

Shoert Question, is it possible to change the Character in a 20% Ready Project to a Vr Character or is it better to start with a new VR Project from Scratch and reimport stuff?

A week? Really?I know that many companies spend months on creation of VR simulations and serious simulation games