Geometry Editor 2.0 is going to happen , this thread is a central place to post your suggestion - this thread is not for people who want to debate about whether Geometry Editor 2.0 is a waste of time or not. With that said - what do you really want? Be as detail as you want about any features or workflow!
I created a mockup of how the GUI could look like, its pretty straight forward. You can select vertices,edges,poly,mesh,group. There’s also workplane, world/local space action center. Geometry Editor 2.0 is on the left, with a bunch of modeling tools in left side, and a tool properties on the right. One thing though I move the existing brush tool in UE4 into Geometry Editor 2.0. Tools i’d like to see ,which are heavily base on Source Engine 2.o hammer editor workflow/UI. The new Hammer is a polygonal modeling app within Source 2. Read about that here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools/Level_Design
Here’s the Geometry Editor 2.0 mock up:
- Extrude - Select Polygon hold Shift + translate
- Inset group - Select a bunch of polygons ,hold shift with scale tool with global action center turn on, scale inward to quickly inset the group
- Inset local - Select one or more polygons, hold shift with scale tool with local action center turn on, scale inward to quickly inset locally.
- Creating a new brush(i.e. box) should automatically be created on top of a existing brush(no need to press END key, only applies to the perspective view):
- Boolean operation - subtraction,intersection,union for brush and polygonal mesh.
- Revolve tool
- Bevel tool(bevel edge,point,poly). For poly bevel, LMB = extrusion,MMB = inset . Most of groups of polygons.
- Thicken tool, for create walls really quick.
- Push/Pull tool ala SketchUp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-Adao_Q1c
being able to select ring,loop,etc would be handy. hotkeys and UI. double click on edge to select loop.
- Pivot tool - used to change the pivot of a mesh. Insert key ala Maya
- Freeze Transform, zeros out X,Y,Z coordinate to the origin(0,0,0)
- Connect tool, depending on the selection mode(i.e. vertices,edges,polygons.) Select 2 vertice, run Connect will create a edge between them. Select 2 edges , run Connect will create a perpendicular edge between them. Select a single edge, will loop slice.
- Repeat Last command
- Changing Grid space with hotkey(i.e. and ])
- Hard/Soft edges ala Maya
- Right Click context menu gear toward modelling
- Quick Duplication - Select mesh , turn on translate hold shift, drag to duplicate
- Rectangle Selection
- Lasso Selection
- Support Ngon, quads,triangle
- Merging mesh
- Separating mesh
- Creating material base on polygon selection
- UV tools.
- Dissolve Edge - select edge press backspace
- Bridge tool ala Source Engine 2 hammer with twist option.
- Subdivide - Ala modo Catmall clark …not asking for subdivison surface here.
I was able to model this in Source 2 hammer(I’d love to do the same thing with Geometry Editor 2.0!):