Generating Height Map from static meshes.

Hello, I’m very new to UE5 (less than a year) and I’m trying to figure out to no avail how, or if its even possible, to place static meshes in a level and then get a height map generated from those static meshes. IE: Say i want my landscape to be the shape of a 2d plane with a sphere sitting in the middle. How would i get the height data from the static meshes and create a height map within ue5(or using other programs if needed) Thanks in advance if someone figures this out.

Hey there @Ryucarta1! Are you just trying to get depth information based on everything landscape + static meshes? You could get depth from a SceneCapture2D like the user does in this thread:

Hmmm. I’m really bad at articulating what I want to say. Say for instance you have an empty world and place a bunch of static meshes in a world close enough together to form a “landscape of sorts” for the character to walk on (IE: That UE5 demo a while ago with the golem) I want to figure out if there is a way to create a height map of that worlds “mesh landscape” so i can then use said height map to create an actual landscape from that.

The method I showed would mostly work for that as well. Thought since landscapes can only have vertical deformation it wouldn’t have any overhangs like the example map does. Resolution also gets a bit harder at that scale as well. Getting a height map from existing non-landscape terrain would entail rendering it through the SceneCapture2D in most cases.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.