I’m trying (and failing) to create super-accurate per-pixel normals for a Sphere object. The problem is both the texture and the mesh don’t give enough fidelity, there’s still a lot of break-up and visible seams, particularly with reflections that seem to be very sensitive to this.
I thought just taking World Position and Normalizing it, then transforming to Tangent Space would give me the correct normals, but apparently not. Do I need to rotate them or something as well?
That’s exactly what I thought at first too, but surprisingly it didn’t give me the right result, especially with the reflections - I had to transform from World > Tangent.
Ah, thats because we both forgot that for that to work, you need to uncheck “Tangent Space Normal” in the material options.
if you do that, it will be a tad cheaper. Otherwise you are paying some tiny cost to transform into tangent space and then back to worldspace by the engine.