GenerateProjectFiles fails and .NET Framework 4.6.2 cannot be installed

I cloned Unreal Engine source code from github,
installed Visual Studio Community 2017 following the setup guide,
And ran setup.bat.
then I ran GemerateProjectFiles.bat and it always gives an error that it needs .NET Framework 4.6.2 in the reference assemblies.

So i go back to visual studio installer and it shows that .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 etc are all installed, and my regedit shows 4.8 is installed.
But vs installer does not list 4.6.2 anywhere as a component to install. Also the reference assemblies folder shows all these versions except 4.6.2. It is the only one missing.

So since vs installer cannot do it, I downloaded a 4.6.2 installer from microsoft website and ran it, but it quits with an error saying that 4.6.2 or later is already installed.

I tried removing all .NET Framework components via the vs installer but that 4.6.2 installer still says I have 4.6.2 or later and GenerateProjectFiles still says I need the reference assembly for it.

So i can’t install it because i already have it, but I can’t build Unreal engine because I don’t have it. This is very confusing.

1 Like

Here’s a longer story of how I got to this point:

See my comment on your linked post.

Thank you :slight_smile: I’ll try that and let you know how it goes.

Turns out I needed this:

1 Like

thank you, spent an hour trying to install unreal on a server , installed all sorts of .net dev packs but this one truly works