Gamma/Tone Washing Out Image - How to Fix?

That looks fantastic! (sorry for providing no useful feedback!)

Hi, I’m having tone map issues too - where does the PostProcessTonemap.usf live, as I can’t find it.

Many thanks

Has anyone found a solution to this? Tempted to switch over to Unity to see if anything is better over there.

Having worked extensively in both engines, that would definitely be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I’m also working on a game with pixel art and need the colors to be accurate, anything new in 4.15.1 that would help?

Sorry for double post. but I got a solution to the tone mapper. Check it out !
Dissable Color Grading and Tone mapper completly or...!? - Rendering - Unreal Engine Forums!

Also I wonder if there is a sweet spot for setting up color grading and tone mapper to where we can get a default non tone mapper look and feel. so that we can still use the tone mapper in specific cases !
Has anyone actually attempted that here? playing with the post process settings in search for the sweet spot?

Try using these console commands to turnoff tonemapper:
r.TonemapperGamma 0
r.TonemapperFilm 0
r.Tonemapper.Quality 0

If you use them in game the Show->PostProcessing->Tonemapper from editor will stop working, but i guess it will resolve your in game issue (I just reset editor and it works again as long i don’t PIE and throw the console commands again)

Using these 3 rather than ShowFlag.Tonemapper 0 i got the same result within a Shipping Build

1 Like

I found that setting r.TonemapperGamma to 2.2 gave more accurate colors. Setting it to 0 yields the default value for the tonemapper which gives slightly darker color values. Don’t know why 2.2 gives more accurate results, but after testing various values this gets me as close as I can possibly get to the native colors.

Either way, I cannot thank you enough for this discovery. This basically saved my project and I can now get shipping builds that are consistent with the developer build and editor colors.

2 Likes