Game works in editor. Crashes after packaging

The current version is in 4.25.4

Entirely blueprint scripted.

Windows 64-bit.

I’ve been working on this game over 2 years now. I am nearing the end of production and I packaged the project for Windows 64-bit to see if there are any last minute bugs that would come up. There aren’t any errors on build or package. But to my surprise almost every single thing doesn’t work when packaged. Why would a game that works flawlessly in the editor not work at all when packaged? Isn’t the editor supposed to be a preview of what your packaged game will do?

The game crashes randomly very often, making it very hard to track bugs. I set crash reporter and it tells me this error most of the times:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffff
UE4Game_Win64_Shipping!operator<<()
UE4Game_Win64_Shipping!ParallelForImpl::TParallelForData >::Process()
UE4Game_Win64_Shipping!TGraphTask > >::ExecuteTask()
UE4Game_Win64_Shipping!FTaskThreadAnyThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit()
UE4Game_Win64_Shipping!FTaskThreadBase::Run()
UE4Game_Win64_Shipping!FRunnableThreadWin::Run()

I’ve read over there that it could be that the game can’t find some stuff. Could be Null Pointers because they aren’t initiated or doesn’t exist yet. So why these problems don’t pop up in the editor?
I tried to build a debug version but it won’t compile. It tells:

351246-debugcompilingerror.jpg

Do I need to use VS to build debug versions? Anyway I wouldn’t know how to handle with it. I learnt to fix every problem I encountered in the editor. And there is very little info about crashes after correct compiling.

Have to say, that a lot of my BPs have little delays before calls to let the Player Blueprint Load a saved game. For example: To manage color in secondary blueprints I delay the function to prevent it happens before loading the saved game. I thought it could be the problem:

Also I created some BPs that are “controllers” of some stuff in the game that depend on the game being previously loaded. Those little delays make them work as expected in the editor.

I will add most recent logs (crashes folder is empty):

[link text][3]

I hope we can find a solution together. Even if I have to real-time contact someone or share the project.

Thx in advance.

1 Like

How I hope your problem can be solved, because I have the same problem, but I still can’t solve it!

Hello mazhentao, thank you both for posting and welcome to the Unreal community.

This error is a interesting. Would you mind letting me know if your project has any plugins you enabled yourself. I am asking because it is possible a plugin may need you to recompile your project or even generate VS project files. There are also a few more causes on the link I will provide shortly.

Here is a relevant thread on this subject with a few great solutions.
I hope this helps.

Hello EstebanUE4

This error means you are trying to access address that does not exist. This usually occurs when you are trying to access an object that has not been instanciated (created in memory). Or the pointer is not relevant. You say it works when you play in-editor? Maybe you are doing something in construction scripts?

As for debugging version, yes, you have to have IDE with debugging symbols installed at least.

As of now it is just not enough information to resolve your issue.

Regards,
Alex.