Game Trailer/Playable Demo

PAID CONTRACT or HOURLY Compensation
Start-up Privately funded

Looking for talented UE4 developers to produce a high quality Playable Demo/Game Trailer

Project Title:

Ethos
“It begins again”

Description:
Ethos “It Begins Again.” Is a constantly evolving experience dependent on melee and magic combat revolving around three forms of play and one Sand Box: Real Time Strategy Players engage in strategic attack and defense of critical assets; action in the Role Players Game is intense as players clear out dungeons and take on legendary warriors; soldiers for hire compete for supremacy in the Battle Arena. Regardless of a player’s personal preference in carnage, all engage in the same centralized Sand Box where you can make your mark on History. Build. Defend. Conquer. The world is your canvas, and war is your paintbrush.

Includes:
• Fully developed third person hand to hand combat.
• Extensive character development paths.
• Complete in game commerce from player to player.
• From 2 to 50+ Battle Arena for strategic empire expansion.

All four parts of the game are dependent on each other the XP and materials that are gathered/earned in the RPG are spent/used in the Sand Box. In the Sand Box you need the materials brought out of the RPG to build your character and equipment. Every NPC that you would normally interact with in the RPG eventually is replaced by an actual player in the Sand Box, from the blacksmith to the general store. In order to expand your empire you recruit players to do battle for you in the Online Battle Arena (no NPC minions). The RPG is an interconnected liner game with many levels and side levels for exploration. The Sand Box is set in a vast open world made for exploring.

Talent Required:

3D Character Artist
• Experience with Maya and Zbrush preferred.
• Experience with UE4 toolset.
• Expected to create, rig and animate player, npcs & monsters.
• Experience with Substance Painter and Substance Designer helpful.

3D Environmental Artist
• Expected to create additional props & hard surfaces.

UI/2D Artist
• UI
• Concept art

Level Designer
• Design, build, script, and tune 3D levels

Gameplay Scripter/Programmer
• Position Filled

We will be purchasing assets from the marketplace when it makes sense and developing original content as needed.

E-mail: @gmail.com
So, can you not give us a simple summary of game, if it’s already made, and maybe even your Studio so people have a general sense of who you are? I mean “The game is unlike anything on the market and is far too big to describe in a couple of paragraphs,” is a broad statement don’t you think? It just sounds like an opinion and vagueness isn’t doing it justice. So in short can you please summarize what it is, and who you are because this sounds very AAA and it would be great to know who we’re talking to.

Also, please clarify any and all positions you’re recruiting for.

Hum, why just developing a game trailer and not the game and then a trailer for it?
The only thing I can think of that a trailer without a game is good for is to try some fundraising with it.
But when I see trailers without actual gameplay on those kickstarter & Co. sites, then all I can think of is the attempt of a scam, because if a team can really produce a game, they would show it.

We have some amazing Matinee people over as well as video editors and compositors so I’d love to chat more about this trailer and get some amazing content in the pipeline to bring it to life!!

Fair enough a little more info then, the game consists of three parts; first an RPG similar to the Dark Souls franchise a complete game with story line and lore, second a MMO where your Character from the RPG has a somewhat domestic life, part three is a MOBA within the MMO where players do battle to expand their empire. All three parts of the game are dependent on each other the XP and materials that are gathered in the RPG are spent in the MMO. In the MMO you need the materials brought out of the game to build your empire. Every NPC that you would normally interact with in the RPG is replaced by an actual player in the MMO, from the blacksmith to the general store. In order to expand your empire you recruit actual players to do battle for you in the MOBA (no NPC minions). Both the RPG and the MMO are set in a vast open world made for exploring. In the MMO there is a commerce system and laws that can be broken creating additional means of play tracking down criminals and bringing them to justice, or maybe you are the criminal trying to get away and stay one step ahead of the bounty hunters. There is much much more to the game that would take pages to cover but this should give you an idea of the scope and just how large the game is. Imagine combining Dark Souls 2 with League and then add Minecraft and Civilization to the mix throw in Farmville for good measure, then replace all NPC’s with real people, add in an open world the size of the earth we live on and you will have general idea of where we are headed. As far as a trailer vs. actual game, we have the funds necessary to get started but not to take the game all the way to the finished product. Somewhere down the line we will need to raise funds. All work on the trailer will be used in the game and the intent is to create a small portion of each of the three parts of the game for the trailer. Preferably these three small parts will be functioning before we hit the $30k mark, maybe not as a complete product but enough that we can shoot a trailer from them. We are not a commercial studio we are gamers just like you. I have played games for 35 years, I am a business man with 25 years of experience under my belt, I am investing my own money coming out of the gate because I believe the technology is finally at a point where a game like this is possible. I also believe that the player base that will be attracted to this game will be enormous. From the 30 something mom that loves Farmville to the 20 something college student that is addicted to PVP. Or the narcissistic grad student that is all about world domination along with the Architecture student that wants to build the city. Or guys like me that just like to kill things with swords. There is something in this game for everyone. As far as what positions we are hiring for; we will ultimately need a complete team and contract developers. For now we are looking for a few very talented individuals that can catch the vision and perform at a high level. We have a video production team in mind already so the focus of the this group will be creating content centered around the information mention above. I thought about offering royalties and a percentage of ownership compensation packages but I prefer a do the work get paid arrangement. We may consider other compensation terms as we get rolling but for now it will be project based compensation.

That sounds like quite a feat but I was worried that you had no previous experience in AAA level games which is where this is headed. Altough it seems you don’t and are Indie you can still afford the team for proof of concept which many people can’t. The idea sounds fun and nostalgic for roleplayers such as myself if pulled of to where its balanced and fair for all classes of players. I don’t really think making a trailer as a start is a good idea and development should be centered on stable gameplay, most trailers do high poly versions for trailers and don’t show the viewer the real quality. I hope to see that this goes somewhere and its sounds interesting, good luck.

I’m failing to see the need for a game “trailer” It sounds to me you’re working towards a kickstarter, or something that promotes the basic outline of the game. IE a digital slice for each component of the whole game that you could use to gain interest for potential investors/publishers/backers.

I’ve played games for about 30 years myself, and as a developer I would like to mention that this sounds a lot where the “designer”(?) is more or less the ideas man. 20 to 30K will be spent in no time if you want to hire high tier professionals and personally speaking, I wouldn’t have much faith in someone who has no hands on experience in the actual game designing aspect simply because a large project like this really needs someone with the experience, to be able to solve issues and resolve problems.

Throwing money at people is not a guarantee for a successful development cycle and there is also no weight behind you as a developer since from what I can tell, you have no actual game design knowledge. Playing games is a far cry from knowing how they work. But by all means, go ahead and follow your dream. I’m not trying to change your mind rather then making sure you’re aware of what this project’s scope entails. I have no idea what you’re capable of but this is how I see things from an outside developer perspective and I don’t think I would be the only one. Now that said, being able to have a decent starting budget is a good incentive.

I’ve been through an entire development cycle from start to finish twice and I’ve learned an enormous amount of things that can go wrong and what mistakes can be avoided. I can only hope you know what you’re talking about and have a sense of the complete scope of what you’re attempting.

Ha, now this guy is really putting the icing on the cake!

It’s not enough for him that 99% of all indie teams with no prior game dev experience who go for ONE large goal like MMO, Open world…FAIL.
This guy even tops them by trying to put together ALL genres in one game:

“There is much much more to the game that would take pages to cover but this should give you an idea of the scope and just how large the game is. Imagine combining Dark Souls 2 with League and then add Minecraft and Civilization to the mix throw in Farmville for good measure, then replace all NPC’s with real people, add in an open world the size of the earth…”

So just to be clear to you: in average you need 50 porfessionals working for maybe 2 years on each ONE of those games alone. You want them all? Do the math for yourself and add another 50 just to combine them and work together.

You better spend some bucks on books. Like “Gamedev for beginners” and “basic math”.
I don’t say this to insult you, but many people will love to take youre money. My good, realistic, experience-based, harsh advice on the other hand is free!

I’m not sure why you think I’m interested in your opinion on if this is a viable project or not. Let me tell you I am not. You don’t know me or how deep my pockets are. I’ve built and sold over 50 million in real-estate in the last 25 years and have put together very successful teams of 50 plus people. I currently have 20 million in real-estate under construction. If ultimately it takes 300 or 400 people to get this done then so be it. I could just hire a professional studio to do the work but I’m not interested in building someone else’s business. All video game companies started somewhere. If you’re not submitting your CV or examples of your work keep your opinion to yourself. For those of you that are genuinely interested in this project, thank you for taking the time to send me your info, you will hear from me in the near future.

Actually it will take closer to 100 people for each game for more like 3-4 years. But thanks for your input .

hi,

@all, please keep things civil.

@ please don’t insult people as its against forum rules, if you have a problem with something someone has posted please report it instead.

thanks.

I am fully aware that it would be more people and time for each game alone, but I don’t want to get in this discussion as you could always “make it smaller” and at this scale it does matter to the point.

But the overall discrepancy is, that if you really wound have money to pay 400 people full time, why then…

• post budget for trailer 20-30k $, when the game showcased will cost a 3-digit million $ sum?
  • dont have a website and only a gmail e-mail adress?
  • dont you put the money serious on the table with youre company for that game and recruiting list for the whole team and GDD-Info at least?

So right now you’re ad sounds like a single, inexperienced guy who wants to make a game that has it all and has no real money to spend on it, and does not even bother to fill out the recruitment template with the basic info.
You can understand that people hesitate to apply to such a dubious approach.

If you’re serious, then set up the basics for such a project professionally, e.g. let some recruiting agencies search the candidates worldwide that you will need for such a project. You’re above posting is NOT the way to do that.

We are still looking for talented people please contact me if you are interested.

Thank you for those that have contacted me we are putting together a good team. We are still in need of a world designer. If you are interested please contact me. Thank you

So we are well underway. We have purchased all the assets that make sense and are under production. The terrain is all but done and we are starting to build several levels. I’ve put together a good team but I am need of additional help. A skilled animator would be a great addition to our team. We have team members that can do the job but they have plenty to do without the animation work. If you are efficient at animation work and have a knack for solving problems please send me your info. You need to have a good amount of time working in UE4 on animations, I don’t have the funds to pay for any learning curves. We are developing a very unique combat mechanism that requires very well done and smooth animations and transitions. Thank you to those that have reached out to me all ready if we are not doing business right now it doesn’t mean we won’t be in the future.

Just thought I would post a little bit of the GDD

Game Description
Ethos “It Begins Again.” Is a constantly evolving experience dependent on melee and magic combat revolving around three forms of play and one Sand Box: Real Time Strategy Players engage in strategic attack and defense of critical assets; action in the Role Players Game is intense as players clear out dungeons and take on legendary warriors; soldiers for hire compete for supremacy in the Battle Arena. Regardless of a player’s personal preference in carnage, all engage in the same centralized Sand Box where you can make your mark on History. Build. Defend. Conquer. The world is your canvas, and war is your paintbrush.
SB – The “Sandbox” with many towns/cities is spread over an open world with several continents. Combat in this part of the game will be limited to individual combat between one or more players for the sole purpose of robbing the other player of any valuables they might be carrying. On occasion a small or large band of thieves may lay siege to a small town, however, the towns people are under attack not the city. Only the citizens can lose whatever they might be carrying at the time. It is up to the local Monarch to provide security for his empire. Any crime that is committed can be reported to the royal guard and the criminals name is added to that town’s most wanted list. Bounty hunters can then load that towns most wanted list into their inventory and be alerted when a known criminal is nearby. The Sandbox will scale to as many as seven large continents depending on the amount of active players in the game. The Sandbox will consist of many towns/empires that are owned by individual players and must be built, expanded, and maintained by the player. There is no limit to how large an empire can become, it is up to the player to entice other players to settle within their empire and then strategically expand the empire as they see fit.
RTS – Empires are built using RTS game play in the Battle Arenas. Battle arenas are individual levels where teams of players from competing empires come to fight. The intent is to have as many as 20 unique levels that can hold as many as 50 individual players. All RTS empire building battles start with a challenge from one Monarch to another with a similar ranking empire. The challenge is simply what the Monarch wants form the opposing empire. The opposing Monarch has three options when he is challenged; he can surrender and give up whatever is demanded, he can accept the challenge as is, or he can up the ante and fight for supremacy. The Monarch who has issued the original challenge has two options, walk away and pay a preset penalty in gold or he can accept the higher challenge being offered. All battles that risk an entire empire or “Pinks” have a built in rematch so that the victorious empire must win in the battle arena twice in a row to claim an entire empire. If the winning army should happen to lose the second battle then either Monarch can declare a draw and part ways with no cost or penalty. The victorious empire can leave the existing Monarch in place to manage his old empire but he pays homage to the victorious Monarch.
RPG – The RPG is built as a standalone and obvious transition from the sandbox. Or The RPG levels are hidden within the Sand Box, as players explore the world they will discover the many levels full of new enemies a boss encounters. RPG Levels will consist of a semi open worlds with a semi linear paths. Built in side levels and optional levels will add to the game play experience. There will be many interconnections between various levels to allow for multiple routes to the end of the game. The levels in particular will be highly game-play driven centered around character development, enemy encounter, boss fights and coop. The levels will be tailored to the standard mechanics of an RPG plus some unique features that will be covered under Character AI and User Interface.
BA – Although the MOBA genre is comparable to the battle arenas, it is not an accurate description; a death match may be a better description. The battle arenas in the Ethos game are centered on individual and team based PVP. There are no structures to destroy or flags to capture it is a fight to the death. The player/team come to the arena to practice against other players or teams. Continuous tournaments along with practice matches will be held in the arenas to determine the rank and Handicap of individual players or teams. Matchmaking will be done by XP level and a Handicap system similar to golf. Teams with high level characters will have a low Handicap and teams with low level characters will have a high Handicap. These Handicaps will adjust how much health players have for the match. There will be a maximum allowable Handicap but no minimum Handicap, meaning players and teams can go below zero. Player win percentages, Handicaps, rank and total arena stats will be public knowledge so any Monarch can assemble the right players to expand his empire. The lower the Handicap the more expensive the Mercenary is to hire to represent any empire in the Battle Arena. Handicaps or XP level will not apply when battling in the arena for the purpose of expanding an empire. Empire building battles are open class with no XP limit or Handicap.

That is not from a game design document, these are dreams for youre game. In a GDD you would actually describe how those dreams would manifest themselfes in gamefeatures, assets and so on to make them playable in the game. Also in a GDD are no undefined “or’s” and the whole purpose is to describe how you want to do each of youre dreams in detail. You’re description rather reads like the cover of a game package for advertising " make your mark on History. Build. Defend. Conquer. The world is your canvas, and war is your paintbrush."
In a real GDD you would describe not those results/effects you dream of, but in detail how you want to make them work in the game so all teammembers have the same understanding what is to be build/made. For this you have to adress all the requirements, and how they are planned to be solved/worked off.
Example:
"SB – The “Sandbox” with many towns/cities is spread over an open world with several continents. "
This means among multiplayer also the gamefeature of a) open world. How you want this part of youre dream be turned into reality in the game? In a GDD you would exactly describe that:
What form of a1) dynamic landscape and a2) procedural foliage generation did you choose, what are it’s specs, limits and requirements?
What form of a3) level-streaming did you choose for open world content like the towns? Have you not decided that, then do load tests with the different versions before going into production and coming to an unpleasant dead-end later in case you did not load-test it before.

And so on to further details of each thing required. Nothing will just be there because you dream it up or want it.

So if you call this part of you’re GDD then i have to conclude that you dont even know what you require for youre game nor have an idea how to get this done. It’s the same with youre 400 people that you still dont have but keep on dreaming and posting of youre one game that covers all genres and includes the workload for 400 people which you never get done.

If you want to attract people …and that must be the reason why you post updates, otherwise you would have just hired them…then explain not more of youre dreams for the game, but show a realistic way how you plan to make them come true.
Right now we don’t see a plan, but only that youre not capable of producing one.

Well GameDev-DR every single GDD I have read and it has been quite a few start with a broad description of the game, an introduction if you will, then move to all the detail you mention in your post. So if you’re attempting to help me, I’m good really not looking for your help but hey thanks anyway. I probably wont post the 20 pages I currently have done of the GDD or the roughly 20 more I expect to add. By the time we actually get to full game production and all the various development teams add to the GDD I expect it will get very large. I’ve said this in a previous post but I’ll repeat it for your sake. Please don’t post on this thread if you don’t have something of value to add. I’m not interested in trolls looking to pontificate and make them themselves feel better by spewing a useless opinion. What I am interested in is hiring quality people to build a playable demo. If you are an animator, level designer or artist and like to get paid cash every Friday for quality work, Please contact me.

Curious… Most of your posts are negative in nature telling people what they can and can not do… Why do you do that? Its odd. Be constructive… Also, this is an honest question and not trying to pick a fight… What game have you released?

teak