Game Manager Object?

I’m creating a room escape game and am having a little trouble. I’m trying to recreate the camera setup of the Rusty Lake games. I’ve currently made an array for several locators that the player controller moves and aligns to. switching between the locations works just fine. the problem is that the ‘Get All Actors of Class’ node that i am using doesn’t get my locations in order. So the other option is to use the ‘Make Array’ node. The problem with that, is that I have nothing that starts in the scene that would be appropriate to hold the references. i’ve found through searching that any blueprint that is created at runtime can’t hold references. I created a custom blueprint for my player. If i set one in the scene, a new player gets spawned and used with my view locations.

My question is that would it be appropriate if I created an empty object in the scene to put my blueprint on that creates my array, or is there a better option?

The problem with that, is that I have
nothing that starts in the scene that
would be appropriate to hold the
references.

Manager / helpers object are definitely a thing. But isn’t your room already an actor? The locations are room-specific, right? So the locations should belong to the room and the room can send them to the controller so it can move between them.

Would that work?

The problem with that, is that I have
nothing that starts in the scene that
would be appropriate to hold the
references.

So the room is created procedurally?

I hadn’t considered the room! but sadly that also wasn’t allowing references for some reason.

i’ve poked around a bunch more and I think I have the camera working by setting an instance of the PlayerViewer_BP in the scene, setting the auto possess player (which i had forgotten was a thing i need to do) and setting the array elements in the details panel.

I hadn’t considered the room! but
sadly that also wasn’t allowing
references for some reason.

Can you give a precise example of what is not working? Or how would you like it to work? The following is not true, for example:

i’ve found through searching that any
blueprint that is created at runtime
can’t hold references.

What’s more, it’s enough to dynamically bind objects and you no longer need references.

In my head, you have a room in the level blueprint with points of interests and you want the player controller to move camera to those points. How close am I? How is the interaction done? Do you cycle though the array or is this onClick? Or both?

I know nothing about Rusty Lake games.

Perhaps you could provide a quick player interaction example.

For as long as you know how & why the script works, you’re good! :smiley:

Good luck!