Free VR Template (All Blueprints)

Sorry for the late reply again. I’m keeping track of the feedback and should have it all fixed in the next version… sometime this year. In the mean time, I recommend using this version as more of a tutorial than a template.

Ah just saw you had posted and was really hoping… I know you’ve probably got better things to do than update this but it’s a shame to see you say perhaps sometime this year?

I honestly think this is one of the best ready made templates currently available beating even most marketplace ones. You’ve just happened to come up with a solid base template that’s blueprint only and a much more natural physical based one without needed navigation or an overly complex plugins to run. I’m sure i’m not the only one who would be happy to buy it if you just fixed the head lag issue and gave it a bit of polish.

You really made a great thing here for the community and im not sure you realise it… I just hope someone here could fix it for the rest of us? :frowning:

If I thought there was an easy fix I would just do it. The way the camera transform relates to the actor is central to this template. This is a bad thing, not just because the camera has some issues (which I didn’t manage to detect either because my hardware is different or because I’ve just become inured to VR sickness), but because it makes the entire template fragile and difficult to change. This is why I am working on a new one. If I do my job correctly, it will work better out of the box and be easier to modify.

I’ve only just begun working on it again. I feel bad that I’ve left a less-than-perfect project out there, but I was finishing up school, taking care of a new baby, and starting a new project. My new project has reached a point where I can focus on the pawn; I’m going to take those blueprints related to the pawn and give them away when they’re ready. Hopefully that will only take a month or two, but I don’t know. It’s my number one priority at the moment, but it’s possible that my circumstances will change and I’ll have to get a real job and stop working on it entirely.

I hope you will be able to work on other aspects of your projects in the mean time.

I’m about done with the new version, which runs in UE4.25 (yes, I will probably update it to UE5 next year). It has all the same locomotion and interaction types as the old version, but with some improvements to deal with moving environments, rotating pawns, and shouldn’t make you sick. It also has multiplayer. I’d like to get some testers if possible. This is the link to the discord, where I’d love to get your feedback so I can make improvements before the “real” release: Inchoate Elk Games

If you just want to download the project, it’s here:

I haven’t made any tutorials yet, as I’d like to get the release version more firmly set before committing to those. I will make some brief video introductions to get you oriented to the pre-release version and post them in the discord when they’re ready (in the next few days). If you just have to see it in action right now, here’s a two-month-old preview video (multiplayer and item interaction are working now):

Edit: Ok, I made a short video just to show what was missing from that one, bloopers included for your viewing pleasure.

Once this has gone through a little testing and improvement, I’ll start a new thread to announce the official release of version 2 of the free, blueprint-only, multiplayer vr template.

1 Like

Great work Incurian thanks for doing this as it’s running perfect now. I’ve only quickly tested and controls work well using hp reverb g2. Do you happen to have one? :slight_smile:

The only small issue i found so far was the collision capsule seemed small and made me low to ground but im guessing that just needs resizing? I wonder if there’s a way to make height adjusted to player?

Also does the gun shoot anything as i played around with it after adding clip and nothing happened?

@Magneto

I currently have an Index, and a Quest(v1); if there are issues with other sorts of devices, please let me know what fixes you’ve come up with and I’ll incorporate them into the template.

There is some automatic resizing of the pawn height going on; I mention it in the orientation video below, but try messing around with BodyAdjustments graph in the pawn BP to get it to do what you like.

The gun doesn’t shoot, it’s just an example to show the various item interactions that are possible. It will be fairly easy for you to add arbitrary actions to the gun BP triggered by control inputs in the pawn.

Here is the orientation video, it doesn’t go into a lot of detail, but it should show you where everything is located. I have chosen not to create detailed tutorials yet because I am anticipating changes to the BPs, and I want to wait until we can count on them to be more stable before spending days on tutorials that may be quickly obsoleted. You can expect those in the next week or two when the updated version is released (I have already found a couple bugs that while not game-breaking, bother me enough that I want to patch them, as detailed in the discord testing channel).

As a reminder, it will be necessary to learn a bit about Blueprints and the Unreal Engine in general in order to take full advantage of this template; nonetheless, it should still save you loads of time on your first VR project, and will probably aid you in learning about Blueprints since many of the different capabilities are on display here.

i have some knowledge with blueprints, but not understanding what item buttons with menu to set the start and quit, i’ve manage to swith killmenu to quit the game but no clue where i’m suppose to do or find the values or where they go to set it that way, kind of new to seting up vr menu’s etc but understand how to do it for 3rd or first person through hud widget, but still searching to find how i can altr those item buttons to be a quit and start level function. thanks.

Could you rephrase this? I’m having a hard time understanding what you’re asking. Is this in relation to the version 1 template? I’m not really planning on offering much support for that, as I am focusing on the new version I just posted about.

The new version is out.

Just wanted to close up this thread in case someone comes across it years later and wants to follow the project.

Hi! Thanks for sharing! I downloaded the zip but when I try to open the project, this popup appears

image_2022-04-10_205044

I thought that maybe the plugin was disabled but the plugin doesn’t even show up in the Plugins list. Has anyone encountered this issue? Or have an idea of why this might be happening?