[Free] Simple Road Tool

Hi, great tool :slight_smile:
ā€¦ but, is that workling with UE 4.15.1.? Because when I click on ā€œAddEnd - Runā€ button in Blubility panel, nothing happened (it will not create another paths). Maybe I miss something.

In video is this step on 2:16https://youtube.com/watch?v=31SIyEPOen4
Thanks for help :slight_smile:

Hi people,
Sorry that I forgot a little bit about this tool, I had some exams etc. -> Not much time to do anything. So I start with answering some questions.

I can put the pieces for sale on CGTrader. But I will have to change the textures a bit because I donā€™t own the textures I used (they are from CGTextures :D).

At the moment its a bit problematic for me to develop further. The Editor currently suffers from heavy bugs on Linux (which I am using). For instance it crashes when opening skeletal meshes or the Engine-Settings. I already filed some bug reports and hope that it gets better :slight_smile:
However, the tool will remain free. I think its a nice small edition many people could need. As specially starters. Thats why the way is free and ā€œopen-sourceā€.

Sorry that seams like a bug within Epics forum. I uploaded the files to their forum. Maybe try again later?

You are free to fork it and make improvements. If you want you can post the improvements/blueprint here. I would add the to the main thread post so everyone can see them. However as I mentioned above I wonā€™t work on this in the next few weeks.
[EDIT] I forgot to answer the thing with the landscape :smiley:
Yes its right. The landscape feature is already build in the blueprint editor. Sadly as you also found out a little bit buggy. But I canā€™t do anything against it as far as I know.
For the mesh I use a 1x1 plane with a grid texture on it. You can activate it and it should show you now the area in which the landscape-alignment influences. There are actually two an ā€œinnerā€ one where the influence starts and an ā€œouterā€ one in which it ends (for smooth transition between road and landscape of cause :slight_smile: ).

Hi,
did you add sockets for the mesh. If not double click your mesh and add some sockets within the socket manager (i guess somewhere in the bottom right) with the appropriate location and roation (the red arrow should point ā€œoutā€ of your street towards the ā€œto be connectedā€ road).

Hi again, I added the models here on CGTrader. Youā€™ll get every mesh you see in the video + a roundabout as FBX, within a .blend file as well as .uasset which you can put into your ā€œcontentā€ folder of your project. If you use the .uassets the sockets should already be set up and functioning. However you will have to create materials for the textures I supply with the CGTrader pack. I had to change the road as well as the intersection/brick texture, because I donā€™t own the rights of the ones I show in the video. Have a look at the last three pictures on CGTrader to see what the new ones are looking like. However the meshes work with any tiling texture, so you could also for instance use this one with out any problems :D.

The Plugin dont work for me, when I press ALT + dragging the Point out the Mesh just duplicates :frowning:

Hello, iā€™m new with the Ue4 and iā€™m asking if itā€™s possible to use it for commercial used ?

Youā€™ll have to select a spline point (usually a white square) and drag this out. If you select the mesh youā€™ll duplicate it.

You can use this for commercially. However If you get any decent revenue consider to spend a small amount on stuff from my CGTrader account :smiley:

I had the same problem in Mozilla Firefox, but it works with the Internet Explorer.
Try another Browser! Hope it works

Can someone say how I use this road meshes ? ( or this one road mesh ) because i cant use this blend in my UE4 it doesnt work. what do i have to do with it ?

Could someone help me ? The streetmesh is not working for me idk what to do with this blend ā€¦

Well, youā€™ll have to open the .blend file with blender and export the meshes you like. The file is meant to show you how to construct your own street meshes.

Question

Hey Bud,
i sent a pm with details of my issue, this is the screenshot. For everyone else, this error log is on a fresh project, with a fresh RapidRoadTools installed, and none of the files referenced in the log have been used for the tool to need to reference them. How do i get rid of it all? Or doesnt it matter too much?

My main project (hopefully due for release soon) where these errors became cause for concern, which has used this tool extensively, loads all the meshes correctly with all textures intact but still gives this error log.

I love this tool and recommend it to anyone - ive used it for roads, intersections, walls, fencing, guard rails. So many uses =)

Hi,
I guess the original blueprint tries to find the meshes I used in my project at the location on my computer.
Please try to replace the following meshes in the original road blueprint with your own meshes and see if the errors happen again:

(On the left side)
Street Mesh -> SplineMeshComponent -> replace all three entries with one of your local meshes (they will be your default meshes)
End Mesh -> CrossMesh -> also, just replace it with one of yours (it will be the default end mesh)
Landscape -> MarkingMesh -> Replace this with a normal plane and a UV map. The plane bounds should be 1uu/1uu. This is used to visualize where the impact of the landscape aligning will be.

-siebencorgie

Yep that did the trick bud - the boxes were blank already but as soon as i changed them to my meshes the errors disappeared. Thanks heaps for that :wink:

@siebencorgie: Thanks for the great tool! It makes it much easier to learn how to create roads.

I think i found the bug, why applying to the landscape creates strange scratches:
In the align to surface function you start the line trace at the SplinePoint and end TraceDepths (10000) units down.
If your SplinePoint is already on the surface, it doesnā€™t hit any surface and then moves to a strange location.
The problem also appears, when you click align to surface a second time, because all SplinePoints are already on the surface.

So, if you start your LineTrace 1 unit up (or TraceDepths units up) your SplinePoints always align to surface.
Now its also possible to align multiple Splines to the surface.

I tested this, it looks good but the created spline mesh has no collision. How do I get collision working?

I just tested this too and I found a fix. In newer versions of UE4 you canā€™t modify a static meshā€™s collision after itā€™s been spawned (as it was done in this blueprint), but you can just set it in the ā€œAddRoadToSplineā€ function (Itā€™s in the functions list of the RapidRoadTool blueprint), click on the ā€œAdd Spline Mesh Componentā€ and collisions options should pop up on the right. Set ā€œCollision Presetsā€ to ā€œBlockAllā€ or whatever you like and it should work.

Hey, this is awesome! It works fine in the editor but in my Map Log and in the Build Log which everytime failed are the following errors:

I dont know if this is the reason for the failed builds but can you help me to fix this ?

Hi, I guess this is the same problem @SykoStace found some replies earlier. Try this fix:

Help, I canā€™t seem to find the download linkā€¦ am i missing something or has the download link been removedā€¦?