[FREE] AutoSizeComments

Yes you’re right, I have “Hide Comment Bubble” ticked. Probably for the same reason (nullptr), UE crashes instantly when unticking the option “Global Show Bubble when Zoomed” in the Editor Preferences. But then, when the engine reloads, the option appears unticked and the plugin works as expected. Hope this helps, and big thumbs up for your support!

Update 23 April 2020 (v2.1.3):

• Added setting *Comment Text Alignment *(try out centered comment text!)
  • Added setting Hide Corner Points
  • Added setting Comment Text Padding
  • Fixed issue where comment would expand when comment bubble was visible
  • Fixed issue where nodes which were already inside the comment would not be highlighted when resizing
  • Fixed crash when trying to access comment bubble after enabling Hide Comment Bubble

Sounds great! Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but how do you upgrade the installed version 2.1.2 to version 2.1.3? In the Library tab of the Launcher, the plugin is signaled as ‘Update Available’ but the only option available is to ‘Install to Engine’, which the launcher refuses to do as the plugin is already installed. I can’t find any ‘Update’ button anywhere (nor ‘Uninstall’ btw).

Definitely not a stupid question, I remember spending a while trying to figure this out too! In the Library tab under your Engine Version (4.24), click Installed Plugins! and it will show your installed engine plugins.

Worked like a charm, thanks so much! The plugin doesn’t crash anymore. Btw, I purchased BlueprintAssist, in the hope that it will be as useful to me as AutoSizeComments. Thanks so much again for your support!

Well well well, this plugin has really become an essential part of my workflow after less than a week of using it! I wonder if you would be interested in considering those two suggestions for potential improvement:

• The ‘X’ button at the bottom left of each comment looks like a ‘close’ button (like you want to remove or close the comment). As the add button is displayed with a ‘+’ sign, how about displaying the subtract button with a ‘-’ sign? I guess it would feel more consistent.
  • When you have to select all the nodes inside a comment, a ‘Select all included nodes’ would come handy. The buttons are all based on node selection, so again, it would still be consistent.

Just my two cents…

@madjyc I was planning on changing the [R] for “replace” with [S] for “snap to” eventually since it makes a lot more sense. Would be good to revamp them all together. As for the select all nodes button, I am hesistant to add extra buttons since the UI is already getting a bit messy. Perhaps something like Ctrl + LMB or simply RMB on the node would select containing nodes.

Hmm…you’re right, more than 4 buttons would hinder ‘muscle memory’, that would probably be too many. Speaking of snapping, I noticed something that happens both with original and ‘plugin-hacked’ comments. When you painstakingly align a bunch of nodes with ‘Q’ and then comment only a subset, say in the middle, the comment box applies a fixed margin around the nodes, so chances are that the comment box will not conform to the grid. Now if you try to move the comment box and put it back at its original position, well you can’t as its top-left corner will now conform to the grid. As a result, the perfectly aligned nodes inside the comment will not be aligned with the nodes outside any longer. So you have to select all nodes inside the comment and nudge them back into position (hence my suggestion for a ‘select all’ button). With regular comments, I would follow the same procedure again and again: 1- Create the comment box. 2- In Details Panel > Move Mode, switch from ‘Group Movement’ to ‘Comment’. 3- Nudge the comment box a wee bit so that its top-left corner conforms to the grid. 4- Switch back to ‘Group Movement’. The nodes inside the comment would then remain in position. I might sound picky, but commenting your code is already taking care of its appearance, so… Maybe this issue could be taken into account when you revamp your plugin with snapping abilities? Just saying.

Your plugin is a great tool and I buy the Blueprint Assist too.
I download both for 4.24 and they works very well. But now I can’t install the plugins from my tresor in UE4.25? How can I update them?

@vicbrother When you click “Install to Engine”, is there no option to install to 4.25? I think someone had this issue a while ago and it was because their Epic launcher was not updated. But I haven’t run into this issue myself, so I’m not sure.

@fpwong Good hint. I don’t restart the launcher the last three months (my Windows 10 tell me to restart my system since 4 weeks :wink: ). Now it works. But why depends the content of the marketplace with the restart of the launcher? Strange.

Update 4 August 2020 (v2.1.4):

• Fixed issue where tooltip would be visible when hovering anywhere on the comment; now only visible when hovering the titlebar
  • Added setting to disable tooltip

Thank you for the release :slight_smile:

@fpwong Does more people have this issue that sometimes some elements will jump out of the comment if the comment field is really big and you save a BP, close, and reopen? it happens to me a lot… After restarting the project some of the nodes just no longer are part of a comment. .though as long as I’m not moving anything they stay wrapped… but when I try to move the entire comment some elements just stay-in-place like they were never wrapped in the first place.

Yes I have found this too, any way to fix would be awesome !!

@AngeIV @Skulldug Did some testing and was unable to replicate this. This is a common issue when you first open a graph but should not happen if you have been editing BPs with the plugin enabled. How I’ve coded it is that once you open a fresh graph, the comments run a collision check to detect nodes underneath. This is not accuratefor large comments and often can lose nodes. But once you have placed the correct nodes under your comments, the nodes underneath are then saved in an external file and shouldn’t cause issue from then on.

Another issue is that the saving to an external file occurs when exiting the editor. So if your editor closes unexpectedly it will not save the nodes under the comment correctly and may lose some nodes. Also ensure you have “SaveCommentNodeDataToFile” enabled in the settings for this to work.

Let me know if this info helps, or if this still occurs randomly even when you close the project correctly.

Well, my engine crashes a lot unfortunately :confused: It happens sometimes in combination with “Graph Formatter” free plugin. :frowning: Although it usually works perfectly… when a blueprint begins to get giant and there are comments inside comments and a lot them to add… it starts slowly breaking. unless you don’t move stuff.

Update 16 Feb 2021 (v2.1.6):

• Added setting Ignored Graphs
  • *Control Rig *graph is disabled by default

Hey @fpwong, thank you for the plugin! The thing i like the most about it is the color and font presets. Automatic resizing is not that useful for me, i have a preferred way how i want to arrange my BPs. Would it be possible to add option(s) to turn off the resizing feature?
Be it at comment box level (button for each comment box toggling the use of resizing feature), or globally per project/engine version. Do you think it is possible to add this feature?

Hi sorry for the late reply, this feature has been added globally in 2.2.0. Enable the setting “bDisableResizing”.

1 Like