Forward Rendering vs Deferred Rendering......For maximum graphic result purpose.. How to choose.

Hi guys, good morning
There are the questions (for those don’t want to read long stories)
It seems forward renderings produce a better result for foliage as translucency is supported, but

1. Does it mean that I can only have 4 dynamic light which has cast shadow turned on? (Or even cast shadow is off I can still only have 4 in my levels?)
  2. Does light numbers impact heavily on light building time? This may be horrible cause I have a huge scene (realistic scale airport and 8km*8km meadow)

And, for render qualities…Does MSAA help more to the best graphic or forward rendering contributes more? Looks like landscape material suffers from either of MSAA or forward rendering? It says

Ok, here is the background story…

I’ve being using Megascan’s texture for a long time and I still find that my scene looks blurry, every hi-poly mesh is still blurry
The 4K textures in UE cannot lead to a sharp, clearer, hi-res, best quality render like other renderers (such as substance’s Iray renderer, Quixel’s mixer’s renderer). I leanred the answer is that by default unreal uses game settings for textures so performance is in higher priority than graphics quality

And soon I found some tricks on the answer hub to increase render results:
For textures,
1.probably turn off mipmaps
2. use nearest for filters

For renders

1. Use forward rather than deferred
  2. use MSAA?

If you doesnt already change TAA settings, give it a try:
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen 0.5 or 0.8 can give pretty nice results.

Also you can try postprocess sharpening material from*:

*similar sharpen PP mat which you can found in google works similar but not 100% same! If you want better quality try that from Koola.

Disabling mip-maps sound like a joke :slight_smile:

Reducing TAA samples works well for me, as well as mipmap sharpening(in the texture properties) or forcing mipmap bias to hold on to the high-res longer.

Reducing samples and mipmap bias may cause more aliasing in motion though…

Hello, thanks for the advice. I think I need mipmaps now because my scene is a little big…The distance objects should never use full 4K maps…
After some tests, I found that I need post processing volume…Especially the chromatic aberration…But somehow I still feel that substance’s Iray’s rendering displayers bigger resolution than Unreal’s…

I see how big the comparison is… I don’t have a detailed layer mask for the top part of the mountain so the distant view of the landscape looks dull…But Chromatic aberration and vignette and grain jitter and tenomapper slope add those color and lightness variation for me…