Forest Tree Collection

Here is the new clip showing the forest:

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Hello,

Think you can do this for your trees before releasing them?
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/VertexNormal

Looks great.

How are you blending the trees with the ground? Do the tree meshes still have a piece of ground attached like in the first post?

The leafs already use world normals instead of tangent space normals, plus all the normals pointing downwards.

All the trees have a bit of ground at the base. We have setup RGB masks so you can replace the ground around the trees to fit what ever landscape texture you’re using.

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

This one

&d=1456835708

Is basically looking like the first row

Or maybe I see it that way :confused:

That is old, the latest trees look a lot better. :slight_smile:

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Small status update and some new screens.

We’re finalizing the pack right now, clean up and tweaking performance.
Also working on a tree blueprint that will auto generate trees for you.

We optimized all the materials and added special LOD version. Also made all materials scale independent,
so you will always have the best possible detail on any asset.

We have added a ton of new assetsm, rotten trees, different size rocks, slopes with roots, grass and more.
I will post an overview of all the assets next week, here is a little preview showing some of the new assets.

New screenshots:

38520456c78bc090a970015554eee055aac08995.jpeg

70b14dd4adeb250a4c08007b325e3ebe7240e5a4.jpeg

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

This is looking awesome. Any idea of the price yet?

Looks amazing. :slight_smile: If you don’t mind me asking; how did you photoscan the tree trunks? What kind of scanner did you use?

Pricing we’re still debating, we may release multiple packs for rocks, plants, trees and one full forest pack, including all the assets. I sure can tell more about it at the end of the week when posting the final asset overview.

We use a Nikon DSLR and Samsung S6 to take videos and reference shots. 4 mil poly source meshes and 8k textures are generated using our own photogrammetry software that hooks into 3dsmax. The rest is lots of manual work in 3dsmax and Photoshop to get a good lowpoly asset out of it.

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Ye its quite obvious that photogrametry was used for high polys and textures which ofcourse is a good thing. Do you plan adding some ground tileable textures aswell? Would be great to have like 3 textures to fit in forest. Photoscaned, baked and then artomatix software can be used to create them seamless without bump data lost. You can PM me if you need links or quick tips.

hi janpec,

yes, tileable ground textures with displacement are also part of the pack. I post some images of them on the weekend.
Thanks for offering tips, that artomatix thing looks interesting.

btw, since people where asking for it: Sequoia Forest Pack is in the works as well.

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Hey,

sorry for the short silence, we had to get another project out the door but back on the forest pack now.
we reworked all the materials and added some more functions for tweaking them.

One for example, you can now automatically grow moss in the right places on any of the assets.
Here are a few new screenshots showing the tweaks as well as some of the new assets: slopes, rocks, dead trees etc.

9b00b95fc9eadb9db0efaa7a2859ccad301f4bb5.jpeg

954dc35380e363fce49f119aa44caaeed42903c0.jpeg

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH

Looking amazing! I’m especially in the dead trees and fallen branches and such. Most real woods are full of dead brush on the ground, but its impossible to find any good 3d models of stuff like that. Will be purchasing when this is released for sure.

Do you have any estimates for the pack to be finished and submitted?

I’m also a little skeptical about the performance costs. Simply because these trees look more realistic than any current AAA game on the market (or in development), which makes me think they’re better for CGI and cutscenes than for actual gameplay in a forest environment.

As always, I will remain hopeful though :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with . How is the performance with a mid range graphics card, real-time with the first/third person default character? I think that might give people a good sense of what to expect.

want want want want !!!

That is the reason i will not be using those trees either. Once you step outside of Speedtree shading system you can forget about large dense forests at decent performance costs. But everything else in pack the ferns and plants and ground textures are worth the buy.

Hi guys,

Performance is always a big issue, one of the reasons why we’re still tweaking the hell out of the assets.

Current performance in 4.10, in first person is ~60fps at 1920x1080 on a Titan GTX, the newer 9xx series GPUs should perform even better.
We also have tested it on a 680 GTX, here we get ~45fps at the same settings, a new GTX 960 should get similar performance.

The trees are heavy that’s for sure, and you can’t just place them in you map as you would with ordinary speedtrees.
You have to be a little bit more thoughtful in setting thing up, as they are meant to be mainly for very close up, high detail areas of a map.

Here are some debug screenshots showing shader complexity, lightmap density and LOD levels.

551f2e6ce95eb73b0fef8874fbe997cc52b19df7.jpeg

02672bd41bf70d2e98acd2414a1c3cea7ca683ac.jpeg

1d549c9a9cbb140c68a6c1cbc2e77f1eae5b681c.jpeg

cheers

Willi Hammes

Managing Director
MAWI United GmbH