Foliage, or Landscape layer paints CRASHING UE5 in movie render queue

Hi, so first I came across an issue where unreal crashed on render queue, couldn’t even execute a single frame.
I tried investigating the cause, and closest I got, was that it was because of the Landscape texture, (Tried rendering out a single frame after removing everything one by one)
When I tested another landscape material and then another same thing happened, in a different project too.
Then I tried out, using only one layer (For example Grass paint layer) to fill the whole landscape did the whole procedural foliages and it didn’t crash on that. However, as soon as I added another layer it crashed again in a different project, where everything used to work fine. I tested on the packs which I have used and rendered out perfectly in the past.

Tried changing to dx 11, upgrading, reinstalling drivers. Would be nice if Devs could read this, as I’m missing out on of the best features as an environment artist.

Crash report below

LoginId:32dada134642ac1fe065e1b20c9a8bb1
EpicAccountId:215f4cbfd9ba4c9298e17335ae243ade

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000004000000

ucrtbase
ucrtbase
ucrtbase
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

1 Like

:cold_face: :scream: :scream:

Quick update

After debugging a bit more, turns out the issue was with the landscape size. I’ve never exceded 63*63 - 2x2 landscape in my previous projects and this one was 4k 127x127 or higher, and that was causing the issue and basically freezing the PC, Still it doesnt make sense and obviously it’s a bug, that needs to be addressed, if anyone else having this issue, there’s the answer <3

Setup:
Msi Ge75
I7-10750H
16Gb Ram
Rtx 2070
Win 10

63x63 2x2 without material renders, with material crashes.
127x127 and above freezes.
So basically I’m down to 63x63 1x1 with material and that’s the maximum I can use the landscape which is pretty small :\

Devs reach out please.

Might be this?

After two month of trying to find the source of the crash, I found that it was the landscape size. Deleting the unnecessary landscape components solved the movie render queue 0x00000000X00000 crash.

2 Likes

I have the same problem as original poster and tried the TDrDelay and UE still crashes. My landscape is 255x255 so… after 5 days building an environment I cant render a single frame. Apparently the bug hasnt been fixed.

I’m experiencing the same issue on 63X63. Three materials on a layer and using a material and UE crashes. Downsized to 15x15 allows material painting, but at a limited landscape size.

Specs:
GTX 4090
Ryzen 9
Windows 11
64g Ram
Asus Rog MB